WTB: Pono Baritone UL Steel String

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcli

Reaction score
Hi, I'm seeking a little bit more of that guitar sound. Please let me know if you have one available.

I own one, but don’t want to sell. Just wanted to share my search for one. I couldn’t really afford one new, though I was tempted. Luckily I couldn’t seem to find any in stock, anywhere. It took many months to find a used one. I believe it was $600 shipped and I jumped on it. Very nice instrument, so just be patient and one does come up every so often. Check periodically on Reverb, Acoustic Guitar Forum and Mandolin Cafe’s classifieds. I got mine at M.C.

I had a tenor guitar before and wanted something shorter scale for everyday play. The big bari w/ steel strings was the solution. Ideally, I would get a nice archtop f-hole tenor guitar (vintage would be nice) but that’s out of my price range.

Did you find the tighter string spacing to be an issue on the tenor at all? I predominantly fingerpick, so I was wondering what that might be like.

Did you find the tighter string spacing to be an issue on the tenor at all? I predominantly fingerpick, so I was wondering what that might be like.

No, but I started playing guitar a few years ago, so I got used to the closer spacing and now I play mandolin so I actually like the tighter spacing. A wider neck on a longer scale would actually make it harder for me to make chords, depending on your tuning. In fifths tuning it can be quite a reach, so the narrow neck helps you reach up the fretboard (have to go for partial chords). Even in guitar tuning dgbe, an ukulele player might prefer narrow in order to compensate for the long scale. I think you adjust pretty quickly.

I kid you not. This morning, both the acacia and mahogany models of the Pono Steel String Baritone were up on The Ukulele Site.
I've never typed on my phone so frantically than at that moment. I nabbed the acacia model an hour ago. It looks like the mahogany one also got snatched up by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom