• Both! Collector and Player equally

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • More Player than Collector

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Definitely Player

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say so much being a collector than an accumulator
I like "accumulator". My wife might use the term "hoarder" ;) (6 guitars, 2 basses, a mandolin, 10 ukeleles... eep. she may be right).

My collection is mostly built of used / inexpensive instruments I picked up while trying to decide what I liked (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone), along with a few picked for special purpose (solid body electric, outdoor, fifths tuning). Several are on the list to move on to a new home, but aren't worth enough that I've put in the effort to move them. Most of the ukuleles would have been under $100 new, and only one over $200 new (and it's a keeper). Now that I've counted them, that may accelerate :)

That said, the collection is designed around playing. My goal is to always have an instrument at hand to play: there're two hanging by my bed, one in my work office, a few in my living room, one in my car etc. in addition to the collection in my home office / studio.

I like "accumulator". My wife might use the term "hoarder" ;) (6 guitars, 2 basses, a mandolin, 10 ukeleles... eep. she may be right).

My collection is mostly built of used / inexpensive instruments I picked up while trying to decide what I liked (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone), along with a few picked for special purpose (solid body electric, outdoor, fifths tuning). Several are on the list to move on to a new home, but aren't worth enough that I've put in the effort to move them. Most of the ukuleles would have been under $100 new, and only one over $200 new (and it's a keeper). Now that I've counted them, that may accelerate :)

That said, the collection is designed around playing. My goal is to always have an instrument at hand to play: there're two hanging by my bed, one in my work office, a few in my living room, one in my car etc. in addition to the collection in my home office / studio.

It isn't hoarding when you have a utilitarian reason for it. Always having one near you obviously make it easier for you to add in playing time, which adds to your enjoyment.

When I first started playing uke six years ago, in the first year I accumulated sixteen ukes. By the end of the year I decided to keep only the ones I liked the best, which was four (now up to nine). At that time I also started playing bass uke, since then I'm up to twenty-five bass ukes and mini bass guitars. Never been married, never had children (that I know of) and retired, so accumulating and playing has become my pastime.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I would like to say I’m a player who collects, but the truth is most gigging musicians I’ve known over the years don’t have 8-10 guitars or ukuleles or whatever instrument. Their guitar is their tool, and while they might have a backup, the instrument is a means to an end. The collecting doesn’t start until there is sufficient expendable income.

Years ago I saw a video of Jake Shimabukuro talking at, I think, a Toronto ukulele club event and when asked how many ukuleles he had he said one. He said that every instrument has quirks and it was important to really understand how to work around them. He probably owns more ukuleles now, but it does give the perspective of a working musician.

So, regardless of what I’d like to think, I’m a collector that plays.

John

I would like to say I’m a player who collects, but the truth is most gigging musicians I’ve known over the years don’t have 8-10 guitars or ukuleles or whatever instrument. Their guitar is their tool, and while they might have a backup, the instrument is a means to an end. The collecting doesn’t start until there is sufficient expendable income.

Years ago I saw a video of Jake Shimabukuro talking at, I think, a Toronto ukulele club event and when asked how many ukuleles he had he said one. He said that every instrument has quirks and it was important to really understand how to work around them. He probably owns more ukuleles now, but it does give the perspective of a working musician.

So, regardless of what I’d like to think, I’m a collector that plays.

John

What I really want to know is how many George Harrison had that weren't for gifting. I think he must have had a couple for each room.

I started as a player, owned one uke, attended three regular uke jams and got up to speed strumming and singing quickly. Then as I got into finger picking and chord melody I became an "experimenter". I had to try different sizes, different wood combos always searching for a particular sound, playability was most important too.

I was initially going to say collector/player as I do love a beautifully made wooden instrument. But every uke I sold off was because it didnt have the sound or playability I was looking for. I went through a boat load of high quality ukes, mostly used in search of what worked best for me. I am now very happy with what I own below. Time to concentrate more on playing, once I rehab from hand surgery. Been one month and seems like many more before I can start to play again. I had over 50 stitches in my left hand and just had the remainder removed two days ago, now physio starts

Last edited:
I started as a player, owned one uke, attended three regular uke jams and got up to speed strumming and singing quickly. Then as I got into finger picking and chord melody I become an "experimenter". I had to try different sizes, different wood combos always searching for a particular sound, playability was most important too.

I was initially going to say collector/player as I do love a beautifully made wooden instrument. But every uke I sold off was because it didnt have the sound or playability I was looking for. I went through a boat load of high quality ukes, mostly used in search of what worked best for me. I am now very happy with what I own below. Time to concentrate more on playing, once I rehab from hand surgery. Been one month and seems like many more before I can start to play again. I had over 50 stitches in my left hand and just had the remainder removed two days ago, now physio starts

Yep. I totally agree. Yep

What I really want to know is how many George Harrison had that weren't for gifting. I think he must have had a couple for each room.

George's son Dhani told me a few years ago that he had a uke in just about every room. So George's home, Friar Park must have 50+/- rooms. I've seen pics of his instrument room and I'd say maybe 25 guitars.

I would be more of an accumulator if I played better. I still pretty much am terrible, so I can't see spending a ton of money for something I don't do well. That's not to say there aren't one or two stupidly expensive ones I'd love to have for looks (because I haven't been able to hear the sound in person), but I have one high g and low g and that's working well.
I have make two cookie tin ukes and two banjo ukes that play pretty well so I play with them too.
I also have mopeds that need work that ALWAYS need money going to parts.

I get that for different people, "collector" may have different meanings and accumulator may be a better noun. For me, it's been great reading everyone's interpretations and replies. It helps me understand why even though I have some fantastic ukes, I still enjoy "hunting" for and then buying more. I wasn't always like this. When I first started, I had a low G tenor and a high G concert. I lived that way for quite a while. My most expensive ukes I bought because they were hundreds of dollars off retail and I just couldn't pass up the unique opportunity reasoning that I may never see that model uke for that price again. (And that has been true). Those expensive ukes sound fantastic even with my mediocre playing. I'm not so good at getting rid of ukes because I've typically developed some type of memory or sentimental attachment. The result is my now having a "collection."

But I think the point about a gigging musician is spot on and important. I know a professional violinist and she plays a multi-million dollar violin that is "loaned" to her. I don't think she has a dozen other violins. Moreover, I'm reminded of the point that watching those videos from Corey, Kalei and others on the Ukulele site, when they demo some ukes, they could make almost anything sound amazing.

I'm new and can barely fret a chord, so I have to stuff myself into the collector side for now because I bought more ukulele than I "need", but I want to play. I'll certainly buy more of them faster than I learn to play. I love beautifully crafted wood, as well as a finely crafted tune. :D

I am collector and player.

Most of the classical or jazz fan are CD collectors or HiFi nerds rather than players. I rather better than only collector.

Player here, but I also sometimes collect so long when I feel inspired by an instrument. I have 3 ukes, and each one is a tool and companion. I own two K brands for amplified gigs and teaching and one custom in linear tuning for venues with lower noise floors. The reentrant K brand currently sees the most use, and I’m on the hunt for the right custom to tune reentrant. Additionally, I sometimes tune one of the ukes in a less established tuning depending on my current repertoire.

I try to keep the stable as open as my musical pursuits allow, but as a multi-instrumentalist, I have a veritable petting zoo of instruments.

I definitely accumulate more ukes than my skill level warrants. Also I have gone through various ukes as my style of playing changes and experience grows. I always sell or gift ukes that I no longer actively play because I will not just house an instrument if it is not getting musical attention.

Top Bottom