View Poll Results: Player, Collector, Both?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely Collector

2 3.03%
  • More Collector than Player

11 16.67%
  • Both! Collector and Player equally

16 24.24%
  • More Player than Collector

13 19.70%
  • Definitely Player

24 36.36%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Collector or Player?

Default Collector or Player?

I was thinking of why I have UAS. When I first started, I was a Player only (not very good, but someone who wanted to learn). I only needed a single instrument.

As I got better, I started “collecting” a few because the nicer instruments made my mediocre playing sound better. I got better sounds and it was an “easy” way to immediately improve my playing. Going from laminate to all wood made a difference. Back then it wasn’t a given that the import ukes were playable with low action. Trying tenor and concert gave better range.

Now, I feel like I buy new ukes because I get joy from having nice or pretty things. It’s my hobby and hunting for ukes, music, accessories is part of the fun also.

I don’t know if I will ever go back to being a “player” only and no longer feel the need to “collect.” I was curious if anyone else feels like this and maybe with the passage of additional time and as I get better, I will evolve to being more of a player vs collector.

Right now, it is really a great time to be a player AND a collector

Just curious...
    Last edited by ghostrdr; 05-22-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Interesting post, and I can relate. I like to play, but I'm also a sucker for something beautiful or special. I don't consider myself a collector, although I do have quite a few. "Collecting" suggests buying them to display or to sell at a profit later.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Interesting post, and I can relate. I like to play, but I'm also a sucker for something beautiful or special. I don't consider myself a collector, although I do have quite a few. "Collecting" suggests buying them to display or to sell at a profit later.
    I also am a sucker for something beautiful. Fortunately, my love of art has forced me to realize and embrace that I can't own everything I find amazing. I did order a custom soprano resonator because it was a work of art and am trusting that because it is made by a musician, it will sound great. But that was for me the melding of art, music and rarity so I embraced that. I have a small collection of art pieces which I adore. I regularly go to art shows and salivate over the pieces I have no room for and occasionally buy one I can find a place for.

Need Wanna Be player and Wanna Be Collector options for me

I hope to be a better player than collector at some point, but for now it is about even for me.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

For me, collecting is about saving something that won't ever be available again.

My two baritones are vintage - a Vega and a Tempo.

The Vega is wonderful and is a joy to play. All mahogany with a marvelous patina and has a smoky, bluesy sound.

The Tempo is probably a 1960's version of a Makala. Looks to be a birch laminate, nothing fancy. But, every time I play it I imagine it as somebody's first uke back in the day. It looks like it was much loved and played.

I have other vintage ukes that are collected for their histories. Some are not playable without some TLC, like my vintage Kay soprano. When I retire in a few years, I will bring them back to life. This is why I collect.
    - Laura

I wouldn't say so much being a collector than an accumulator, but I've been guilty of spending more time looking at ukuleles online than playing my ukuleles. I've also expended a bit of effort looking for "the one" and wanting different sizes. The dust is settling and my "collection" is at six, going to five. I could get it down to one uke if I designated the other one as my wife's
    Glenn

I have more ukuleles than I "need", I suppose. One low g and one high g would in theory cover me.

I don't consider myself a collector because I have more than that, though. I play them all regularly, and some days, one inspires me more than another. The next day, the one that didn't inspire me might be the one that really shines for me. I buy them to play them, not to display them or in hopes that I could make a profit by reselling.

How are we defining collector?

I would consider myself a wanna-be player who enjoys having some variety in my ukuleles.

I don't collect anything. I think that ukuleles are beautiful, and I really like looking at pictures of ukuleles made of exotic woods, but I have no urge to possess them and surround myself with ukuleles. After making that statement, am I the odd one? Is it unnatural to not want to be surrounded by the things that one likes?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I don't collect anything. I think that ukuleles are beautiful, and I really like looking at pictures of ukuleles made of exotic woods, but I have no urge to possess them and surround myself with ukuleles. After making that statement, am I the odd one? Is it unnatural to not want to be surrounded by the things that one likes?
    VERY!!! ..... Kudos to you, brah!

Thread Information