what do you sit on?

A wheelchair cushion.
My butt hurts right now from a 3 hour rehearsal around a dining room table.
I have to get up now....

The folding stools I got from Amazon are great. If you sit for more than 15 minutes or so at a time, though, I recommend a cushion :D

After I had a knee replacement, I needed to sit when playing at my weekly group performance. I purchased a folding chair from a camping equipment store. It has arms but they don’t get in the way as the front edge is quite wide.

52815FA0-09E3-4152-B258-3C4C359BC814.jpg

I sit on different chairs but I like a foot rest. This one is very sturdy.
Donner Guitar Foot Stool Height Adjustable Guitar Foot Rest Footstool Black For Classical Guitar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JVHNZ3T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EbzcDb20G3EDS
I don't particularly like this stool, but sometimes if I'm going to play for an audience at some venue and they don't have anything to sit on this stool works pretty well. I got it for free. I would rather sit on it than stand up. I take a break every once in a while to stretch and move around. But I agree, I like a footrest. I'm pretty sure that it cost me eight dollars at Wal Mart. They have them in different colors and sizes. That's mine in front of the stool. Seriously, it makes a great footrest and it does double duty because I keep my refreshments in it for those breaks I take once in a while.

Footrest.jpg

Well if I were to go to an outdoor gig, I take a folding lawn chain without arms.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WH1984/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

91nFU%2ByzhcL._SL1500_.jpg

But if you want to get fancy at home, the ultimate would be the Pick N Glider (@ $350!)

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pick-N...MI1cigmOWw4gIVGrbACh1tWQdnEAQYASABEgJaQPD_BwE

01f5fefb-5e6f-4c57-80c8-d723a57d77c3_1.9116523249ab7c70c9843885167bf412_1024x1024.jpg
I actually have the Pick-N-Glider as pictured. It works great, and is very comfortable to sit in. I like it a lot. That being said, I don't always use it because I like to move around the house. But, when I'm in my music room, that's where I sit to play.

Last edited:
I’m another that usually sits on the edge of a bed whilst practicing with my music stand directly in front of me, I can be there for hours. Failing that a plain and ordinary type upright table chair works just fine - a stool would be OK too, but I prefer a chair. I like my feet to be on the ground and for prolonged periods a little bit of cushioning under me is good. For practicing at the kitchen table and at my desk I use a small ‘desktop’ stand.

It is rare that I’ll play in an ‘arm chair’, I like to be more upright and don’t like the arms to be in the way.

A kitchen chair with a 10 cm hardfoam cushion, to make me sit higher and more upright, especially when playing my classical guitars.

I do enough sitting and my lower back hurts. I play my uke standing up.

I don't particularly like this stool, but sometimes if I'm going to play for an audience at some venue and they don't have anything to sit on this stool works pretty well. I got it for free. I would rather sit on it than stand up. I take a break every once in a while to stretch and move around. But I agree, I like a footrest. I'm pretty sure that it cost me eight dollars at Wal Mart. They have them in different colors and sizes. That's mine in front of the stool. Seriously, it makes a great footrest and it does double duty because I keep my refreshments in it for those breaks I take once in a while.

View attachment 119124
I've been reading these and wondering how, if I weren't happy just sitting on a kitchen chair, I could otherwise use what I already have. Great minds think alike. I have a similar ice chest I use on the porch to keep my binoculars and bird book safe, dust free, and handy, and I also use it for a footrest.

I like a drum stool. The coolest ones have a spring or hydraulics that let you bounce a bit.

Roc-n-Soc Nitro is a cool one I've sat on they are pricey though, $200. Mine is less nice, but I'm tempted.

I like a drum stool. The coolest ones have a spring or hydraulics that let you bounce a bit.

Roc-n-Soc Nitro is a cool one I've sat on they are pricey though, $200. Mine is less nice, but I'm tempted.
See post #40. As OP (on this revived thread), I still had to scroll through to see if I actually replied with my solution. I am happy with the Nitro as I do use it everyday for both playing and sometimes just watching TV. Anything used that much is worth the purchase price.

I use a Gator Frameworks chair. It has fold out arms at the bottom that can also be used for a larger instrument like a tenor ukulele or a guitar ( I took a quick photo with my Martin T1K resting on it - part the ukulele is sitting on can be rotated up/out of the way when not needed). It also has a foot rest bar that you can't see (behind Martin in the photo). Pretty comfortable, soft padded patch on front of seat to keep from scuffing headstock or neck, back rest is real nice.

If you wait, you can sometimes catch them on sale for a better price...

Attachments

• Gator Frameworks.jpg
    Gator Frameworks.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 17
I can't handle sitting at all lately. I think my core needs some extra building up. I piled on a ton of weight this year and although I really wanted that weight, a lot is my lat muscles and then that's a lot of weight for my lower back to hold up...

That's a dangerous question. LOL

Sometimes my computer chair, sometimes my couch, sometimes a tree branch, and sometimes the ground.

Mostly I sit on my computer chair, in front of my laptop so I can read the scores on screen and use other software.
But since I always use a strap, I can sit anywhere, or even stand. I think it's another benefit of using a strap, that allows quite flexible posture.

Top Bottom