Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what do you sit on?

I don't have any special furniture designated for playing my ukes or mandolas. Usually I'm either in my office chair or on the patio lounger, and more often than not I'm sitting cross-legged, just because it's comfortable.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I ordered a set of these earlier this week.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The street market where we play stopped providing chairs, so I needed something. We'll see how these work.
    At home, I usually sit on the sofa. In my home office, I take the bench from our keyboard. Arm chairs just don't work for me. Too confining.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Come late to this ... I mainly sit on the bed. Mind you, I don't generally hang around too long!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

​"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I have this exact stool at church. When I joined the band, they had a few wooden stools, but they were a little too tall for me. I have bad knees, and having my feet flat on the floor when sitting is important. I sit on it during our rehearsal before church service, and in between songs during the service. When we play, I'm standing. I'm not sure how I'd like it for long term seating during a uke jam or performance. Plus I'd be sitting up a little higher than the others in my group which might be a problem???

I have an old metal folding chair that I usually bring for performances, but it's heavy & not easy to carry.
    You and I are the same. My feet dangle on most chairs which really hurts my knees. I don't practice long periods of time (I should) but I'm generally on the couch with my legs curled up.
    Most chairs are too damned tall, but these are some good ideas to try. I may go home and try a stability ball. No back support, but it will be short enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    That looks super nice. But $300
    $300 would be eating into my Uke money
    Only $150 right now and frequently drops further.

I think of it less as money that could be used for another uke than as money (and pain) that isn't paid to my physical therapist

I got this chair in the before-time when there weren't any ukes in the house, and when my back was giving me enough problems that I couldn't play a guitar standing up. Worth every penny to be able to play without causing myself further damage!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Only $150 right now and frequently drops further.

I think of it less as money that could be used for another uke than as money (and pain) that isn't paid to my physical therapist

I got this chair in the before-time when there weren't any ukes in the house, and when my back was giving me enough problems that I couldn't play a guitar standing up. Worth every penny to be able to play without causing myself further damage!
    When I go to the link it says that 1 unit is $297.25
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    I ordered a set of these earlier this week.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The street market where we play stopped providing chairs, so I needed something. We'll see how these work.
    At home, I usually sit on the sofa. In my home office, I take the bench from our keyboard. Arm chairs just don't work for me. Too confining.
    Ooooh, this might be just the ticket. It's the right height, and I like the flat front edge.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    When I go to the link it says that 1 unit is $297.25
    That listing looks broken. It’s showing me $150 for UNIT. Click the used & new link and there’s a new one at about $130.

I have a wooden stool I sometimes sit on, but it is not super comfy.

Otherwise i sometimes stand up with the uke on a strap, sometimes sit on the couch or in a bean bag chair.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Since the original post, I have been exploring different seats. The seats that have me leaning back some, like kitchen and dining chairs and sofas, are not comfortable for any extended playing. I believe this is due to forcing my arms and shoulders to "lift" more away from my body and away from a vertical position. I found a drafting chair without arm rests in storage and that kept me upright and much more comfortable for playing. But it was old with maintenance issues and it had me looking down too far at my music stand.

I finally settled on purchasing a Roc n Soc Nitro throne (designed for drummers) from Guitar Center. After a few days of liking it. I purchased the optional back. It is comfortable and puts me in a vertical playing position. Only downside is that I can possibly tip over backwards if leaning back with the new back since the base is a triangle. It has been worth the purchase price for something that I might be using one to three hours per day.

untitled-508-3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rainbow21; 06-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Thread Information