NUD: Ken Timms Cuban Mahogany Soprano

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is my second uke from Ken Timms.
the workmanship is in line with his reputation!
The difference between this and my other soprano is as follows but not huge.
This has volume & presence in line with the other but is more dreamy and vintage sounding. My other Soprano barks and howls, this one sings!
pics: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukulele/Ken-Timms-Cuban-Mahogany-/n-RB4sgC/i-P3c7G6V
There only a few more in this batch from him and one is available on eBay right now..

Last edited:
Congratulations! It is beautiful. Glad to hear it sounds great too.

Congrats!
Interesting you hear a difference that pronounced. What strings are on each one? Same or different?
All this Timms talk on the forum has me looking at them! And I already have two and don't need anything! I hope everyone that wants one gets one. Played both of mine today because I was toying with selling one, but no, not now. Maybe after the next string change.

Congrats!
Interesting you hear a difference that pronounced. What strings are on each one? Same or different?
All this Timms talk on the forum has me looking at them! And I already have two and don't need anything! I hope everyone that wants one gets one. Played both of mine today because I was toying with selling one, but no, not now. Maybe after the next string change.
I was thinking the same stuff..
Put the m600 strings from old to new and it was brighter and more clear than the fishing lines Ken uses. The sound is still different think tin vs copper. The Cuban wood is heavier by a tiny bit based on feel.. did not measure.
i too was thinking of selling my old but plan to try different strings.

Last edited:
This is my second uke from Ken Timms.
the workmanship is in line with his reputation!
The difference between this and my other soprano is as follows.
This has volume in presence in line with the other but is more dreamy and vintage sounding. My other Soprano barks and howls, this one sings!
pics: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukulele/Ken-Timms-Cuban-Mahogany-/n-RB4sgC/i-P3c7G6V
There only a few more in this batch from him and one is available on eBay right now..

Congratulations on your new Ukulele. Your post had me checking YouTube for Ken Timms Ukulele videos and especially comparison videos. If you're so inclined a video comparing your Ken Timms with your Martin 3M would be grand.

Oh oh, for me I thought my hunt for a Soprano was over :-/

Congratulations on your new Ukulele. Your post had me checking YouTube for Ken Timms Ukulele videos and especially comparison videos. If you're so inclined a video comparing your Ken Timms with your Martin 3M would be grand.

Oh oh, for me I thought my hunt for a Soprano was over :-/

Would love to see a comparison video also :D

Very lovely! Enjoy!

Yes, I plan to do a blind test for all.. need to find the time.
also, these Cubans have slightly better sustain

Got mine this week too (after a long delay in customs)! It's absolutely fantastic! Still thinking through what strings to put on it. Since I'm still a new player, I don't have much experience or know the best "middle of the road" (but still better) next strings to put on it. Any recommendations are welcomed!

fullsizeoutput_24067.jpg

Last edited:
I recently tried Savarez, Worth clear/brown and Living Water ... but without hesitation I went back to martin.
Enjoy.

the Timms I owned was one of the sweetest and loudest sopranos I have ever played
- one I've always regretted selling -
and I've sure owned me some.
congratulations brother. hope you enjoy this.

Try living water as well, on my Vintage 3k I prefer them over m600

I tried them and the sound is rounder and warmer than with m600 but due to the characteristics of my Ken Timms, I prefer matins.

At this moment my preferences are desigual:

Ken Timms (mahogany soprano) = Martin M600
Loprinzi Nova (mahogany soprano) = living water. Very warm and sweet for picking
Kanilea K1 (Koa Tenor) = Savarez
Loprinzi Model D (koa Tenor) = Living Water
Banjolele (soprano) = Aquilas.

:p

OH, my, don't tempt me like that!
I just played a Wm King soprano for the 2nd time.
It sounds like a much larger uke.
The only drawback, to me, is the pin style bridge.
Other than that it's perfection.
I think a Timms would be the same.

Top Bottom