Strings Tighting and Streaching

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I always hear about changing strings as soon as one gets a new guitar. I often thought that maybe, by doing that that good strings were being wasted.

On my new guitar the tag said "This instrument is strung with SAVAREZ strings". Since this is a good brand of strings I have decided to hold off on changing just yet. Since I tuned up to E-e I have to tighten up the strings two or three times a day like one does with a new set. And these strings look new.

At other times with my guitars tuned in drop 2 or 3, when I pick up the guitar the strings have always seemed to have tightened.

What causes this? What is your experience with strings acting like this? Does the weather cause this? I live in a humid and hot country.

By all means leave those strings on if you like the sound. If I get an instrument and I think a string change will improve sound or playability then I might change them with in the first couple days. But if I like them I keep them on.

Strings have a memory, if you tune down from a certain pitch they will want to go back to that so retuning is neccassary. Living in a hot humid country will cause the wood to swell and expand which puts different tension on the strings. I live in Canada and as we go from cold to hot all my instruments need constant returning. Same when it goes fromhot to cold. This is all very normal.

Top Bottom