Looper pedals - how useful?

Croaky Keith

Reaction score
Last edited:
I recently bought a Boss RC-1 looper and a small Yamaha amp to run it through. My goal is to use the looper to lay down tracks, either single note melodies or strumming songs, to play against. I have already found that this is an excellent way for me to work on my timing and improve my playing technique.

I recently bought a Boss RC-1 looper and a small Yamaha amp to run it through. My goal is to use the looper to lay down tracks, either single note melodies or strumming songs, to play against. I have already found that this is an excellent way for me to work on my timing and improve my playing technique.

That's where I started about six years ago, a looper to play along with. It led to www.karaukey.com

Are these the pedals that some musicians use to record several tracks live on stage, to play along with themselfs?

I think that looks really difficult to me. You need to nail all tracks the first time for it to work.

I think that recording one track at a time with simple multitrack recording software is easier if you are doing it in the comfort of your home without live audience.

For me, that would be a first step before messing with loops like that.

Yes, I've been thinking a bit more about multi tracking again, I'm not sure a looper pedal is right for me, so I'll put it on hold for now, & take a look at trying to multi track something.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. :)

Have a look at the Zoom G1X Four, multi effects pedal, it has inbuilt drum fracks and Looper where you can lay down multiple tracks.

For a straight Looper then a Boss RC 30 is the one others are compared against. It is a great unit, I had one but sold it to fund a Boss GT multi effects pedal board.

DITTO-LOOPER_P0DD4_Right_L.jpg
I use an inexpensive tc electronic Ditto looper. About £60 in the UK but you will need to buy a power adaptor.
Only one switch for recording stopping and overdubbing. Very simple and true bypass electronics so you should not notice any tone difference with the looper added in your signal chain.
I have just used it in the above video to record and play back a few chords and then solo over. Not a lot of tech to learn so you can just concentrate on the music.
Mike

Yes, as seen in Mike's video, you can have big fun jamming along with yourself using a looper. Build layers, add a bass line, some tapping for percussion, etc. Like anything, just takes some practice to get good at it. The Ditto is a quality unit, and you can usually find a used one on eBay or Reverb for around $65.00.

Yeah, oviously a looper paddel is helpful. For over 10 years, I've been looping live with this boss RC20, RC300, and boomerang. I recently tested others, but this Pigtronix stole my heart. Easy to use live, sounds great, stores presets, has a computer app, a small footprint, and supports MIDI. It syncs perfectly with the midi clock. Midi can also be used to control all pedal features. Also, I got the footswitch.

Last edited:
Are these the pedals that some musicians use to record several tracks live on stage, to play along with themselfs?

I think that looks really difficult to me. You need to nail all tracks the first time for it to work.

I think that recording one track at a time with simple multitrack recording software is easier if you are doing it in the comfort of your home without live audience.

For me, that would be a first step before messing with loops like that.
It's another form of practice, and mostly timing! Yes, it's a bit overwhelming at first but like learning an instrument it gets easier with time. Exactly like with all live performances things can and do go wrong, that's what makes live performances LIVE, an audience understands that.

Trust me, I know ;)

Top Bottom