Thread: Looper pedals - how useful?

Default Looper pedals - how useful?

I'm contemplating a looper pedal, but will it be worth the money?

I'm not that good at playing, & a lousy singer, but feel that I need something to add to my playing/recording for the Seasons threads, (& possibly other forums).

(Looking at this one in particular - https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-d...-riff-recorder)
    Last edited by Croaky Keith; 05-23-2019 at 05:51 AM.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I recently bought a Boss RC-1 looper and a small Yamaha amp to run it through. My goal is to use the looper to lay down tracks, either single note melodies or strumming songs, to play against. I have already found that this is an excellent way for me to work on my timing and improve my playing technique.
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    I recently bought a Boss RC-1 looper and a small Yamaha amp to run it through. My goal is to use the looper to lay down tracks, either single note melodies or strumming songs, to play against. I have already found that this is an excellent way for me to work on my timing and improve my playing technique.
    That's where I started about six years ago, a looper to play along with. It led to www.karaukey.com
    http://www.karaukey.com - Ukulele Karaoke - Ukulele Backing Tracks - Strum Class
    http://www.downtomeet.com/strummers - Gold Coast and Hinterland strummers

Are these the pedals that some musicians use to record several tracks live on stage, to play along with themselfs?

I think that looks really difficult to me. You need to nail all tracks the first time for it to work.

I think that recording one track at a time with simple multitrack recording software is easier if you are doing it in the comfort of your home without live audience.

For me, that would be a first step before messing with loops like that.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Yes, I've been thinking a bit more about multi tracking again, I'm not sure a looper pedal is right for me, so I'll put it on hold for now, & take a look at trying to multi track something.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Have a look at the Zoom G1X Four, multi effects pedal, it has inbuilt drum fracks and Looper where you can lay down multiple tracks.

For a straight Looper then a Boss RC 30 is the one others are compared against. It is a great unit, I had one but sold it to fund a Boss GT multi effects pedal board.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I like drum fracks...

DITTO-LOOPER_P0DD4_Right_L.jpg
    I use an inexpensive tc electronic Ditto looper. About 60 in the UK but you will need to buy a power adaptor.
    Only one switch for recording stopping and overdubbing. Very simple and true bypass electronics so you should not notice any tone difference with the looper added in your signal chain.
    I have just used it in the above video to record and play back a few chords and then solo over. Not a lot of tech to learn so you can just concentrate on the music.
    Mike

Thread Information