Koaloha Longneck Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most sopranos will not be as loud as a KoAloha; many concerts won’t touch one either imo. For someone wanting a concert neck and still a traditional soprano body this is a great buy. If one wants a travel Uke a traditional soprano may be a tad better for taking on a plane but I’ve heard stories of ppl bringing on long necks too. If I go on a trip I just take my flea. However as for travel; KoAloha has the best warranty in the business period. That’s should offer a bit of security. I personally think the idea of a travel ukulele is just silly. They are all tiny compared to a guitar or travel guitar. That said; as for thickness; Bruko has a thin body that is pretty nice! It’s no KoAloha though.

I recently played a Kamaka Soprano with long scale neck. I think this is a perfect solution for someone with large hands or thicker fingers. You get a Soprano sound with much more comfortable size of the neck.

I built a uke with a wider nut and neck than a standard uke for just this reason. I find it too wide for my tastes but my wife likes to play up the neck and appreciates the extra space.

Most sopranos will not be as loud as a KoAloha; many concerts won’t touch one either imo. For someone wanting a concert neck and still a traditional soprano body this is a great buy. If one wants a travel Uke a traditional soprano may be a tad better for taking on a plane but I’ve heard stories of ppl bringing on long necks too. If I go on a trip I just take my flea. However as for travel; KoAloha has the best warranty in the business period. That’s should offer a bit of security. I personally think the idea of a travel ukulele is just silly. They are all tiny compared to a guitar or travel guitar. That said; as for thickness; Bruko has a thin body that is pretty nice! It’s no KoAloha though.

I have never played s KoAloha but will watch for one to pick up and test out. The ukes I am building are pretty loud, though to be perfectly honest, I am not really sure what makes them so, or if it is just 1 thing or multiple aspects of my build, which I suspect.

I suppose you are correct in thinking of travel ukes as 'silly' - all soprano ukes are indeed small, but having one well under 21" guarantees I can pack it in my carry on, and having it thinner than standard allows an extra pair of jeans to be packed.

Most airlines do have special rules for instruments but I know I will be able to take mine, and finding the right balance between size and sound is fun for me.

If you are looking for a Koaloha to test out, this one measures 22" long. Would that work in your carry on?

I have never played s KoAloha but will watch for one to pick up and test out. The ukes I am building are pretty loud, though to be perfectly honest, I am not really sure what makes them so, or if it is just 1 thing or multiple aspects of my build, which I suspect.

I suppose you are correct in thinking of travel ukes as 'silly' - all soprano ukes are indeed small, but having one well under 21" guarantees I can pack it in my carry on, and having it thinner than standard allows an extra pair of jeans to be packed.

Most airlines do have special rules for instruments but I know I will be able to take mine, and finding the right balance between size and sound is fun for me.

If you are looking for a Koaloha to test out, this one measures 22" long. Would that work in your carry on?

As the international limit on carry on bags is 21", unfortunately not.

Uke 4.jpgHere is a picture of the travel Uke I made and am currently using. It measures 20.5" overall with a 340mm scale length and 35mm nut...

FWIW I believe that this is a great offer and should be snapped up. I bought a well used Opio Koaloha longneck soprano with a spruce top out of Indonesia. It is an amazing instrument and I find that using the slightly longer neck is a blessing. So far as travel is concerned it does not fit my carryon bag so I hand carry it in a hard case and it counts as my personal item when traveling. If I want to carry another personal item as well as my carryon then I take a regular soprano, usually an old Bruko, in my carryon suitcase. My only reason for checking a bag is when transporting maple syrup to friends and family!
I love the Koaloha sound and would love a solid koa, Hawaiian made instrument, however I cannot let UAS take me over completely. If in doubt seek a used Opio and live with it for a while.

As the international limit on carry on bags is 21", unfortunately not.

A 22 inch long uke should fit into a 21 inch carry on bag by placing it diagonally in the bag.

Last edited:
A 22 inch long uke should fit into a 21 inch carry on bag by placing it diagonally in the bag.

I only fly Delta so working with them is easy. I think my carry on case is 22" and has never been questions. Sometimes it is better to have a duffel bag that is more flexible. Neither have they questioned bringing on a full size guitar or banjo. There again I have a lot of history with Delta - they are good to me!

The Uke for sale looks very lovely and I am sure sounds great. Reading over this thread makes me realize that my comments about travel may have hijacked the thread, and if so, my apologies. I had never seen a soprano with a long neck such as this. Of course, we all have favorites, whether for travel or just for playing. Certainly no disrespect for this uke or it's owner was intended.

Thank you for your kind words eclipsme!

One more bump.

I have heard Ko'Aloha sopranos before. They seem to me to have a little more depth to them than many sops do.

If you like the way sopranos sound, but want a little more nuance in your playing, I think this would be a great way to go.

It looks really nice as well.

I have heard Ko'Aloha sopranos before. They seem to me to have a little more depth to them than many sops do.

If you like the way sopranos sound, but want a little more nuance in your playing, I think this would be a great way to go.

It looks really nice as well.

Thank you for the kind words! This soprano looks and sounds wonderful.

PM sent regarding longneck soprano.

I have the Opio version of this - with a spruce top, which is different. This is an amazing instrument and well worth someone buying. Had I not just acquired a Koaloha I might have jumped at this one. Please someone - buy it and then you will have one of the most amazing ukuleles around.

I have the Opio version of this - with a spruce top, which is different. This is an amazing instrument and well worth someone buying. Had I not just acquired a Koaloha I might have jumped at this one. Please someone - buy it and then you will have one of the most amazing ukuleles around.

Thank you for your kind words 'frianm'. If it doesn't sell soon I may just keep it! :eek:)

Thank you for your kind words 'frianm'. If it doesn't sell soon I may just keep it! :eek:)

If you keep it you will not regret it. I would buy it and sell my Opio spruce version BUT dreaming will not put money in my bank account. IMHO this is a perfect combination of sound and playability. Mine has a pickup so is very useful in a church group where otherwise it would be inaudible amongst the other instruments. I have traveled with it twice to South America where I play with some friends.

Another bump, hoping someone would love this beauty!

If you keep it you will not regret it. I would buy it and sell my Opio spruce version BUT dreaming will not put money in my bank account. IMHO this is a perfect combination of sound and playability. Mine has a pickup so is very useful in a church group where otherwise it would be inaudible amongst the other instruments. I have traveled with it twice to South America where I play with some friends.

Perhaps I ought to hang on to this one and sell the Koaloha KCM-00 concert that I have. I prefer the concert size and don't think I need both. Wonder if there would be more interest in that? Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom