Stupid "it's not a proper instrument" comments

... Immediately they both laughed right in my face. I know I don't have a good voice, but that was uncalled for, it really hurt my feelings. I stopped, put away my uke and never played for them again, even when they ask.

That's terrible! I think it's very sweet you learnt it for her and awful that they laughed at you! Geez, I'd be really hurt too and also wouldn't ever want to play for anyone who had done that to me again :(

You can actually earn a BM in 'Ukulele performance at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Same theory, history, ensembles, liberal arts core, etc., as other instrumental majors but you take 'ukulele lessons and stage solo junior and senior recitals. The first guy to graduate (2019!) packed the house on his senior recital and nailed a mostly classical program. So 'ukulele is getting "officially" serious. The guitar was treated similarly 3 or 4 decades ago. I was the first guitar performance major at WWU to graduate and was laughed at all the time for playing an "unserious" instrument. Heck they didn't even allow guitar in churches back in the day as piano and organ were the only instruments "holy" enough for worship...

You can actually earn a BM in 'Ukulele performance at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Same theory, history, ensembles, liberal arts core, etc., as other instrumental majors but you take 'ukulele lessons and stage solo junior and senior recitals. The first guy to graduate (2019!) packed the house on his senior recital and nailed a mostly classical program. So 'ukulele is getting "officially" serious. The guitar was treated similarly 3 or 4 decades ago. I was the first guitar performance major at WWU to graduate and was laughed at all the time for playing an "unserious" instrument. Heck they didn't even allow guitar in churches back in the day as piano and organ were the only instruments "holy" enough for worship...

Thanks for sharing that. We forget that things get started and development and acceptance can take a while.

As Bob Dylan wrote and sang..........."The times they are a changin'

Nobody spouts off like that around me anymore.
The last time, this snotty woman made fun of me playing my uke in my own living room (she was a guest, and a non-musician)
I whacked her upside the head with my uke so hard I knocked her off the chair directly into the ER.

All-metal resonator ukes are most efficacious for this particular usage.

Nobody spouts off like that around me anymore.
The last time, this snotty woman made fun of me playing my uke in my own living room (she was a guest, and a non-musician)
I whacked her upside the head with my uke so hard I knocked her off the chair directly into the ER.

(JK)
I actually showed her that I could play Spanish Fandango without looking. That sufficed in shutting her up.

Brings the term "beater uke" into sharp focus.

Music is expression, it is not sports. We don't need to praise technique. People praise Berlin Philharmony but people enjoy the Beatles. People praise instrumental play in sitting but people enjoy singing in standing posture. I don't need proper instrument. I play I enjoy.

Last edited:
No real musician would touch a ukulele. These guys are definitely going nowhere:

Of course, that last guy was worried he wouldn't be taken seriously, so maybe not a good example:

And as rules to live by: don't argue with "The Rock" is a good one:

Obviously it isn't about the ukulele.

Two things.

1. I don't know your brother-in-law, but is there any chance it was said as a joke?
2. When people learn I play ukulele, they generally have a positive response. Sure, they laugh a bit, but that's because I'm laughing also. Why? It's the most fun instrument in the galaxy. I laugh when having or talking about fun stuff.
3. RL - I see you've got 3 books out. Which is the best? Think I'm going to have to check one out. Do I need to read them in order or can I grab one and enjoy as a standalone?
4. I said two things. I was wrong.

Two things.

1. I don't know your brother-in-law, but is there any chance it was said as a joke?
4. I said two things. I was wrong.

Haha, 2²! Unfortunately not a joke, but the process of writing this and reading all the comments (thanks to everyone who has commented) has been really cathartic and helped massively! I can safely retire my "beater" back in it's box now :p

Last edited:
I have been reluctant to say this, but to some degree I see the point of the stupid comment. After all, the ukulele isn't a piano with 88 keys. The ukulele cannot play 9 chords without without dropping the root or the fifth. It has limitations but that's why I like it. I really like taking a folk instrument that isn't a proper instrument and pushing it to the limit so that you can play it like a proper instrument. I have a similar relationship to diatonic harmonicas where the player has to learn to bend/overblow notes to get the range that a chromatic harmonica takes for granted. Similarly, my ukulele practice seems to be devoted to legitimizing the uke by playing modes and scales as far up the neck as the 17th fret. I've been around this forum for a few years and my commitment to the ukulele is unmistakable. However I do see a kernel of truth in what that mean-spirited person was saying

But the sax, flute, clarinet. . . cannot play chords at all. The piano can't bend notes. All instruments have their limitations. What is the definition of "a proper instrument"? A violinist can't play a four note chord without loosening the bow hair and playing like Joe Venuti used to.

No real musician would touch a ukulele. These guys are definitely going nowhere:

Of course, that last guy was worried he wouldn't be taken seriously, so maybe not a good example:

I really thought that Pete was gonna smash that nice little uke at the end of the song.

A little over 2 years ago, our local Farmer's Market did a promotional video on Facebook about the market. I learned about the video from one of the vendors, who asked how I liked it. Not being a Facebook user, I had no idea what she was talking about.

Here's the post: [video]https://www.facebook.com/Schenectady...3131913778910/[/video]

What I loved most about it was, the person who had been booking the performers the prior year told me - to my face- that "a ukulele is not a musical instrument", and she didn't plan to have me play often at all.

Then the Powers That Be for the Market decided to use me and my ukulele to promote the Market.

Also, now that we get a $25 stipend, plus tips, there are so many performers wanting to play, that most performers are only getting hired once per market season (one indoor, fall/winter one outdoor spring/summer.) Some performers have been dropped because of audience/vendor feedback. I have been hired once solo, and once as part of a duo.

I get paid just as much as anyone else who sings, plays keyboards, stringed instruments, woodwinds, or percussion. I guess that proves it is a proper instrument.

Plus, I have May Singhi Breen's battle with the Musician's Union in the 1930's to back me up. ;)

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Love the videos, Jim! I just realized that's Joe Brown on rhythm guitar in the George Harrison video. He closed out the famous concert honoring George's memory with his wonderful uke version of "I'll See You In My Dreams". Don't know much about Joe, but he certainly seems like a nice person!

No one a bigger bore than a SNOB, be it an instrument snob, or whatever kind. Teach your niece how to recognize one and point out that relatives are no exception.

Top Bottom