Stupid "it's not a proper instrument" comments

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
!!!Slight rant alert!!!

So I started teaching my niece to play the ukulele. She's already learning piano and I thought this would be fun for us both (which it is / was) until...

A stupid comment from my brother in law to my niece to the effect of "why are you wasting your time on that, it's not a proper instrument"!! From someone who plays NOTHING but smoke and hot air :mad:

Honestly, talk about ill advised ignorant comments. Obviously my niece told me because she tells me everything :p

I'm now off to play some Tchaikovsky on my non-instrument :rolleyes:

Last edited:
!!!Slight rant alert!!!

So I started teaching my niece to play the ukulele. She's already learning piano and I thought this would be fun for us both (which it is / was) until...

A stupid comment from my brother in law to my niece to the effect of "why are you wasting your time on that, it's not a proper instrument"!! From someone who plays NOTHING but smoke and hot air :mad:

Honestly, talk about ill advised ignorant comments. Obviously my niece told me because she tells me everything :p

I'm now off to play some Tchaikovsky on my non-instrument :rolleyes:

The world is full of idiots. "Why do you want to learn how to ride a bike? You could fall and hurt yourself, or you could get hit by a car and killed."

Show your niece Lil' Rev, James Hill or Jake on YouTube.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no respect for anyone who says something as stupid as that. Intelligent people realize it takes disciplined, long term effort to get good at anything. Be it stamp collecting, painting, rock paper scissors, ukulele, piano, cup cake decorating etc. etc. Just be glad you weren't born with his brain

Strange that someone who plays no musical instrument would comment on what is or isn’t a “real” musical instrument. That’s unfortunate.

I will fully admit that sometimes when I mention that I play music to someone, and they ask what I play, there’s that split second of hesitancy & fear. If I say ukulele, will they laugh or respond as your bro-in-law did. So far, I’ve been lucky, and people have been positive. When I approached the leaders of the worship band at church about joining, I fully expected a “thanks, but no thanks” response. Their welcoming attitude and the positive feedback I get from the congregation has been so great.

I’m so sorry that you & your niece had to experience that negativity.

Buy him a 'tin' whistle!

Oh, on second thoughts, don't, that is a real instrument too.

Get him a harmonica & see if he can find the notes to play a simple tune!

Why is the world so full of these idiots.....

!!!Slight rant alert!!!

Obviously it isn't about the ukulele.

Urgh, this is the worst kind of stupid: it's the stupidity (and perhaps jealousy) of those who are to ignorant to create or produce something for themselves, so they are trying to drag everybody else down with them, into their own simple world of mediocracy, eagerly watching that no one can get smarter, trying to keep everybody else as stupid and ignorant as themselves. What an environment for a child to grow up in. Perhaps you should just ask him straight out: Why are you saying such a thing!?

Adding to what Dave said, intelligent people (including any master of classical music) know that there is a lot of transferable knowledge in everything you learn: if you learn to play ukulele next to the piano or violin or any other instrument, you will get better at both. You might even improve your understanding of things that go way beyond music, like math or physics.

The world is full of idiots. "Why do you want to learn how to ride a bike? You could fall and hurt yourself, or you could get hit by a car and killed."

She your niece Lil' Rev, James Hill or Jake on YouTube.

It definitely is! She loves playing, so we're going to continue! I'm going to enjoy it even more now.

Urgh, this is the worst kind of stupid: it's the stupidity (and perhaps jealousy) of those who are to ignorant to create or produce something for themselves, so they are trying to drag everybody else down with them, into their own simple world of mediocracy, eagerly watching that no one can get smarter, trying to keep everybody else as stupid and ignorant as themselves. What an environment for a child to grow up in. Perhaps you should just ask him straight out: Why are you saying such a thing!?

Adding to what Dave said, intelligent people (including any master of classical music) know that there is a lot of transferable knowledge in everything you learn: if you learn to play ukulele next to the piano or violin or any other instrument, you will get better at both. You might even improve your understanding of things that go way beyond music, like math or physics.

I find him a bit arrogant and "entitled". And doesn't understand anything he isn't involved in or can't do. You're very right!

Obviously it isn't about the ukulele.

Yes, it's about *his* stupidity :p

I've heard such comments all my life about the guitar albeit it's rare to hear it uttered about the ukulele in Hawaii save for recently moved residents from the mainland.

Sad, it happens everywhere doesn't it

Last edited:
Strange that someone who plays no musical instrument would comment on what is or isn’t a “real” musical instrument. That’s unfortunate.

I will fully admit that sometimes when I mention that I play music to someone, and they ask what I play, there’s that split second of hesitancy & fear. If I say ukulele, will they laugh or respond as your bro-in-law did. So far, I’ve been lucky, and people have been positive. When I approached the leaders of the worship band at church about joining, I fully expected a “thanks, but no thanks” response. Their welcoming attitude and the positive feedback I get from the congregation has been so great.

I’m so sorry that you & your niece had to experience that negativity.

Buy him a 'tin' whistle!

Oh, on second thoughts, don't, that is a real instrument too.

Get him a harmonica & see if he can find the notes to play a simple tune!

Why is the world so full of these idiots.....

I know, from someone who doesn't play anything... No understanding I guess of what music entails!

I'm sorry that both you and your niece had to hear that. And I'm especially sad that your brother-in-law would in any way discourage your niece from learning something, and having fun while doing so.

It sounds like you and your niece have a good relationship, so if appropriate, maybe this can be a learning experience in dealing with negativity of others, at least.

Your niece is lucky to have you to share the fun of music and all the positive aspects of that.

I am not excusing your Brother-in-law. It's unfortunate that he felt he had to belittle the instrument in front of your niece and dampen her enjoyment. Perhaps he's jealous of the fun you two are having together.

I have had the "You're playing what!" and "Why ukulele?" surprised reactions when I've told friends & relatives I had taken it up. It's similar to my reaction when a friend first told me about the uke club he belonged to. He invited me and I got hooked.

More than anything, I think I and most of my friends and relatives are of the age where we saw Tiny Tim and his shtick on TV and that left an indelible image of the ukulele in our memory. (Yes, I know he was really a fine musician. But there was no internet back then so all we knew was what we saw on the TV.)

I carefully explain that the ukulele is very versatile and people play everything from Hawaiian, Rock, Folk, country, Blues, Jazz and even Classical music on them. I play a tenor and it has a deeper voice than a soprano which is the traditional size most people are familiar with. I tell them that it is a lot of fun. That I belong to a ukulele club that meets every Wednesday and we have a great time singing and playing. Then I suggest some artists they should lookup on YouTube.

I've certainly changed some people's opinions about the instrument. I think I've caused a few to check out clubs where they live.

So, sometimes it's lack of exposure that makes people dismissive of ukulele.

In your B-I-L's case, it seems like it's a case of him being a jerk.

Piano lessons cost a lot of money so does the piano. The ukulele lessons seem to be free of financial cost. When the father is trying to get the child to do the work to get value out of the paid piano lessons, does she get distracted by the ukulele causing frustration for the father who works hard to find the money to pay for the lessons? Parents want their children to get a "classical" music education, it is their job to keep the children on track. Perhaps this is an instance of poor wording, but is the father actually more concerned about the distraction?
Piano lessons which are conducted inside a syllabus and that have grades and exams open doors into university courses in the arts. Not many ukulele syllabi offer the same opportunities.
My suggestion is to talk to the students mother and find out where the piano lessons are at. It is possible for parents and Aunties to work as a team to help the child. Maybe Aunty needs to do stuff like use Piano TAB (AKA Standard notation) more than ukulele TAB? Maybe some more focus on ear learning? Can you subtly parallel the piano lessons with the ukulele work? Instead of conflict, you may be able to achieve unity in purpose?
If the child is working on the course with all the grades and exams with the piano teacher, there are some amazing advantages and opportunities in helping her pass the exams well. It will open doors to careers and opportunities which are not available from an informal ukulele course. In this respect, the father of the child may have a good point.

She doesn't have a ukulele where she lives, so she just plays when she's with me. We play and sing and generally just have fun. I have suggested she learn some classical pieces that we can play together (her on piano and me on ukulele). We both need to swat up on music theory so we can do that together!

It's great that she is persevering anyway despite the negative feedback. She will need that skill as she navigates life. This is a good opportunity for her to find her own way through. Good for her (and you)!

Top Bottom