Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid "it's not a proper instrument" comments

Default Stupid "it's not a proper instrument" comments

!!!Slight rant alert!!!

So I started teaching my niece to play the ukulele. She's already learning piano and I thought this would be fun for us both (which it is / was) until...

A stupid comment from my brother in law to my niece to the effect of "why are you wasting your time on that, it's not a proper instrument"!! From someone who plays NOTHING but smoke and hot air

Honestly, talk about ill advised ignorant comments. Obviously my niece told me because she tells me everything

I'm now off to play some Tchaikovsky on my non-instrument
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 05-24-2019 at 06:51 AM.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

•••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Concert - Anuenue UC3k
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka • LFDM ukaferri
    "Beater" no brand solid spruce + rosewood tenor

***Selling***
    2002 koAloha Soprano • DaSilva figured Mango Tenor + Misi pickup • Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise + uke-up pick up

WTB: high end baritone (will trade)

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    !!!Slight rant alert!!!

So I started teaching my niece to play the ukulele. She's already learning piano and I thought this would be fun for us both (which it is / was) until...

A stupid comment from my brother in law to my niece to the effect of "why are you wasting your time on that, it's not a proper instrument"!! From someone who plays NOTHING but smoke and hot air

Honestly, talk about ill advised ignorant comments. Obviously my niece told me because she tells me everything

I'm now off to play some Tchaikovsky on my non-instrument
    The world is full of idiots. "Why do you want to learn how to ride a bike? You could fall and hurt yourself, or you could get hit by a car and killed."

Show your niece Lil' Rev, James Hill or Jake on YouTube.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 05-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I have absolutely no respect for anyone who says something as stupid as that. Intelligent people realize it takes disciplined, long term effort to get good at anything. Be it stamp collecting, painting, rock paper scissors, ukulele, piano, cup cake decorating etc. etc. Just be glad you weren't born with his brain
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Strange that someone who plays no musical instrument would comment on what is or isn’t a “real” musical instrument. That’s unfortunate.

I will fully admit that sometimes when I mention that I play music to someone, and they ask what I play, there’s that split second of hesitancy & fear. If I say ukulele, will they laugh or respond as your bro-in-law did. So far, I’ve been lucky, and people have been positive. When I approached the leaders of the worship band at church about joining, I fully expected a “thanks, but no thanks” response. Their welcoming attitude and the positive feedback I get from the congregation has been so great.

I’m so sorry that you & your niece had to experience that negativity.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Buy him a 'tin' whistle!

Oh, on second thoughts, don't, that is a real instrument too.

Get him a harmonica & see if he can find the notes to play a simple tune!

Why is the world so full of these idiots.....
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by pix.fairydust View Post
    !!!Slight rant alert!!!

Obviously it isn't about the ukulele.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've heard such comments all my life about the guitar albeit it's rare to hear it uttered about the ukulele in Hawaii save for recently moved residents from the mainland.

Urgh, this is the worst kind of stupid: it's the stupidity (and perhaps jealousy) of those who are to ignorant to create or produce something for themselves, so they are trying to drag everybody else down with them, into their own simple world of mediocracy, eagerly watching that no one can get smarter, trying to keep everybody else as stupid and ignorant as themselves. What an environment for a child to grow up in. Perhaps you should just ask him straight out: Why are you saying such a thing!?

Adding to what Dave said, intelligent people (including any master of classical music) know that there is a lot of transferable knowledge in everything you learn: if you learn to play ukulele next to the piano or violin or any other instrument, you will get better at both. You might even improve your understanding of things that go way beyond music, like math or physics.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    ... Just be glad you weren't born with his brain
    Haha, this made me laugh! Thank you!
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 05-24-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Concert - Anuenue UC3k
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 • Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote • Kamaka • LFDM ukaferri

***Selling***
    2002 koAloha Soprano • DaSilva figured Mango Tenor + Misi pickup • Ziegenspeck mahogany Sunburst sunrise + uke-up pick up

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The world is full of idiots. "Why do you want to learn how to ride a bike? You could fall and hurt yourself, or you could get hit by a car and killed."

She your niece Lil' Rev, James Hill or Jake on YouTube.
    It definitely is! She loves playing, so we're going to continue! I'm going to enjoy it even more now.

Concert - Anuenue UC3k

***Selling***

Thread Information