Stupid "it's not a proper instrument" comments

I started playing guitar in 1960 , played guitar for years . I wanted something smaller and tried a mandolin, but didnt like it. Ukulele wasnt even considered
because the only ukuleles I ever saw were the plastic ones with a crank on the side. I didnt even consider a uke until 1998 after hearing Izzy.
The only ukuleles I had seen up till then were toy ukuleles . I'll bet it is the same with the Brother in Law.

I presume that to your Brother in Law his idea of a great beer is Coors Lite.

Wow , your Brother in law really got trashed here . Seems like no one likes him. I think you owe him a beer. :cheers:

I find it disheartening. What has happened to people? I was raised with values that you don’t make those kind of negative comments. I feel fortunate that all of my close friends and family have embraced, been supportive and encouraging of my ukulele playing.
So thrilled that your niece is giving it a chance despite her fathers comments.

Cheers and happy Saturday to all,

Steve.

Piano lessons cost a lot of money so does the piano. The ukulele lessons seem to be free of financial cost. When the father is trying to get the child to do the work to get value out of the paid piano lessons, does she get distracted by the ukulele causing frustration for the father who works hard to find the money to pay for the lessons? Parents want their children to get a "classical" music education, it is their job to keep the children on track. Perhaps this is an instance of poor wording, but is the father actually more concerned about the distraction?
Piano lessons which are conducted inside a syllabus and that have grades and exams open doors into university courses in the arts. Not many ukulele syllabi offer the same opportunities.
My suggestion is to talk to the students mother and find out where the piano lessons are at. It is possible for parents and Aunties to work as a team to help the child. Maybe Aunty needs to do stuff like use Piano TAB (AKA Standard notation) more than ukulele TAB? Maybe some more focus on ear learning? Can you subtly parallel the piano lessons with the ukulele work? Instead of conflict, you may be able to achieve unity in purpose?
If the child is working on the course with all the grades and exams with the piano teacher, there are some amazing advantages and opportunities in helping her pass the exams well. It will open doors to careers and opportunities which are not available from an informal ukulele course. In this respect, the father of the child may have a good point.

That is an enormous stretch and I certainly hope that is not the case. Unless she is a true prodigy, there is probably no greater disservice a parent can do than plan a child’s future in college arts around learning music theory on the piano. If that is the basis for his frustration, which would be an odd position from a total non-musician, he better brace for a whole lot more as she grows up and lives her own life.

Now if she were left handed with a 100mph serve, that’s a different subject... lol!

John

The old time ukulele players in movies etc. did not help much of an ukulele image as a serious instrument. While their playing might have been good, the image came always as only a humor instrument.

Iz did a lot in bringing uke as something to make music with and we will ever be thankful of that.

The old time ukulele players in movies etc. did not help much of an ukulele image as a serious instrument. While their playing might have been good, the image came always as only a humor instrument.

Iz did a lot in bringing uke as something to make music with and we will ever be thankful of that.

"Somewhere over the rainbow" was the reason I first picked up the ukulele and the first song I wanted to learn

I find it disheartening. What has happened to people? I was raised with values that you don’t make those kind of negative comments. I feel fortunate that all of my close friends and family have embraced, been supportive and encouraging of my ukulele playing.
So thrilled that your niece is giving it a chance despite her fathers comments.

Cheers and happy Saturday to all,

Steve.

Yes, even if I thought something like this (which I don't!) I would never voice it! For my niece I've bitten my tongue and not voiced things even. And yes, I know I've posted on here but no one knows him / me "in real life", I've not used names etc and I needed to let off steam...

That is an enormous stretch and I certainly hope that is not the case. Unless she is a true prodigy, there is probably no greater disservice a parent can do than plan a child’s future in college arts around learning music theory on the piano. If that is the basis for his frustration, which would be an odd position from a total non-musician, he better brace for a whole lot more as she grows up and lives her own life.

Now if she were left handed with a 100mph serve, that’s a different subject... lol!

John

They have it planned, she's going to be a doctor. What she wants I'm not completely sure about, and don't think she knows either.

I have suggested she learn some classical pieces that we can play together (her on piano and me on ukulele). We both need to swat up on music theory so we can do that together!

What a great way to bond!

I get the "not a serious instrument" comment all the time, particularly at the local music store that consistently restrings people's ukuleles poorly or improperly (particularly for lefties) since they think it's just a toy.
I'm glad it's included and treated as a serious instrument at the music school I teach at! But I still have parents who want their kids to learn on the "toy" before they commit to buying them a guitar. Then I show them my rather beautiful (and expensive) Beansprout as I fingerstyle in the lobby waiting for my next student

Did your niece stop? I guess nio on thought that most piuanos are too big to carry around, and an instrument you can carry around can be fun. BTW that is a thick coat of dust to wash off. BTW Brittany Pavia is another you tube.

I once was told
"That dont look like an real instrument, it looks like a toy"
I answered, "but it its a real instrrument and i make real music witrh it, dont i"?
The answer was "but it dont look like, it looks like a toy, i just can say what i think"

some people are just idiots

Last edited:
I have been reluctant to say this, but to some degree I see the point of the stupid comment. After all, the ukulele isn't a piano with 88 keys. The ukulele cannot play 9 chords without without dropping the root or the fifth. It has limitations but that's why I like it. I really like taking a folk instrument that isn't a proper instrument and pushing it to the limit so that you can play it like a proper instrument. I have a similar relationship to diatonic harmonicas where the player has to learn to bend/overblow notes to get the range that a chromatic harmonica takes for granted. Similarly, my ukulele practice seems to be devoted to legitimizing the uke by playing modes and scales as far up the neck as the 17th fret. I've been around this forum for a few years and my commitment to the ukulele is unmistakable. However I do see a kernel of truth in what that mean-spirited person was saying

It's not about the instrument - it's about the MUSIC!!
I've played sax, keyboards, Irish bouzouki, bass and guitar in all sorts of bands and variations there-of.
I have been totally enamored of uke for the last 12 years.
My daughter has been exposed to me playing uke everywhere around the house everyday for all that time. I got her a uke, but she has gravitated to piano (and taken her perfect pitch and excellent ear there)
I don't mind at all; as long as she is using her gifts somewhere and enjoying it.
Ideally your Niece will find her own way (I'm secretly hoping she becomes a uke goddess!).
It's a shame that she might get some partisan and negative comments along the way (there is usually a cycle of negative musical attitudes - what messages did your Brother-in-law get as a kid about music and "proper" instruments?? Where does the sublime experience of hearing Sonnyboy Williamson bending a note on a harmonica, or Van Morrison's "improper" but soul-ful vocals fit into the "properness" spectrum?)
Thank goodness Aunty Pix is there to shine a light.

Last edited:
I was recently thrown off the home on the range because I said a discouraging word. Here I go again...... I think ukuleles from soprano size & larger are "musical instruments" BUT a sopranino or a sopranissimo IMO is NOT. What next -- a so-called ukulele that fits on the key chain with my car keys? Good grief!!!

I have been reluctant to say this, but to some degree I see the point of the stupid comment. After all, the ukulele isn't a piano with 88 keys. The ukulele cannot play 9 chords without without dropping the root or the fifth. It has limitations but that's why I like it. I really like taking a folk instrument that isn't a proper instrument and pushing it to the limit so that you can play it like a proper instrument. I have a similar relationship to diatonic harmonicas where the player has to learn to bend/overblow notes to get the range that a chromatic harmonica takes for granted. Similarly, my ukulele practice seems to be devoted to legitimizing the uke by playing modes and scales as far up the neck as the 17th fret. I've been around this forum for a few years and my commitment to the ukulele is unmistakable. However I do see a kernel of truth in what that mean-spirited person was saying

Why do you consider a folk instrument not a proper instrument?

Nobody spouts off like that around me anymore.
The last time, this snotty woman made fun of me playing my uke in my own living room (she was a guest, and a non-musician)
I whacked her upside the head with my uke so hard I knocked her off the chair directly into the ER.

(JK)
I actually showed her that I could play Spanish Fandango without looking. That sufficed in shutting her up.

I had a direct experience myself by my sister-in-law, my identical twin's wife. When I first picked up the uke 6 years ago and saw Iz's "Over the Rainbow" video, I learned it because my sister-in-law loved it at the end of "Fifty First Dated" and "Finding Forrester" movies. A few months later my cousin was visiting from Toronto and they all came over to my place to hang.

I mentioned that I've been playing ukulele. Both my cousin and sister-in-law asked me to play something. I grabbed my uke, sat next to them on the couch and started the song. Immediately they both laughed right in my face. I know I don't have a good voice, but that was uncalled for, it really hurt my feelings. I stopped, put away my uke and never played for them again, even when they ask.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
They have it planned, she's going to be a doctor. What she wants I'm not completely sure about, and don't think she knows either.

If your niece is up to it, I think there is a response that might eliminate the snide remarks.

Next time your brother-in-law makes a comment, have your niece say, “But this is perfect for my residency.”

John

!!!Slight rant alert!!!

So I started teaching my niece to play the ukulele. She's already learning piano and I thought this would be fun for us both (which it is / was) until...

A stupid comment from my brother in law to my niece to the effect of "why are you wasting your time on that, it's not a proper instrument"!! From someone who plays NOTHING but smoke and hot air :mad:

Honestly, talk about ill advised ignorant comments. Obviously my niece told me because she tells me everything :p

I'm now off to play some Tchaikovsky on my non-instrument :rolleyes:

I haven’t read the whole thread yet but a few comments:

Feel sorry for your Sister, she married him and divorce is expensive and messy.

Ignorance is everywhere, he might genuinely not understand what a Uke can do.

People sometimes make comments to provoke a response, could be a good response or a bad response.

Ignorance towards amateur musicians isn’t uncommon. IIRC S11LKO has a similar brother-in-law to you.

The best way forward is gentle and non-adversarial education of your BIL (think dealing with a very strong and wilful child).

Good luck with your teaching, I hope that your niece excels and that the time with you strengthens family bonds.

Edit. I’ve read all the thread now, so many really good responses. As Rakelele said in #8 “Urgh, this is the worst kind of stupid: it's the stupidity (and perhaps jealousy) of those who are to ignorant to create or produce something for themselves, so they are trying to drag everybody else down with them, into their own simple world of mediocracy, eagerly watching that no one can get smarter, trying to keep everybody else as stupid and ignorant as themselves.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom