Source for wooden (violin type) Martin tuning pegs?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
Howdy,

It looks as though I may need to purchase some replacement tuners for a 20's Martin Style 0.

Does anyone know of a place that keeps a stock of vintage uke parts?

I am most likely going to need two wooden Martin pegs.

Any input would be great,

Thanks,

Ryan

an alternative

Howdy,

It looks as though I may need to purchase some replacement tuners for a 20's Martin Style 0.

Does anyone know of a place that keeps a stock of vintage uke parts?

I am most likely going to need two wooden Martin pegs.

Any input would be great,

Thanks,

Ryan
There is a geared tuner which looks like a wooden peg. It is call PEGHEDS. It is a 4:1 ratio and is the lightest geared tuner made. It comes in two lengths, and also for guitars with thick headstocks.If you are unable to find what you want in the way of the wooden peg, if you will send me your e mail address, I will send you a picture of PEGHEDS.

I don’t mean to be rude but... why do you think you will likely need two?

Is it because two are missing?

Or is it because two don’t hold the strings well enough at pitch?

If they don’t hold then a luthier with a peg shaver and reamer will fix them in a few seconds. ....or you can try peg rosin.

If they’re missing, then you can get a new set of violin pegs and have a luthier do the reaming/shaving installation. Keep what’s left of the original tuners for posterity, of course, but in my opinion, I’d rather have all new pegs than mismatched old and new pegs.... and new ebony pegs are widely available online for little $$$.

Unless you have the tools to do the job yourself... as I do for some reason or another :rolleyes:
But for best results, violin pegs need to be shaved and the headstock reamed to a matching taper now and then.

Last edited:
There is a geared tuner which looks like a wooden peg. It is call PEGHEDS. It is a 4:1 ratio and is the lightest geared tuner made. It comes in two lengths, and also for guitars with thick headstocks.If you are unable to find what you want in the way of the wooden peg, if you will send me your e mail address, I will send you a picture of PEGHEDS.

Thanks. I am aware of Pegheds, but I like the vintage wooden tuners.

I don’t mean to be rude but... why do you think you will likely need two?

Is it because two are missing?

Or is it because two don’t hold the strings well enough at pitch?

If they don’t hold then a luthier with a peg shaver and reamer will fix them in a few seconds. ....or you can try peg rosin.

If they’re missing, then you can get a new set of violin pegs and have a luthier do the reaming/shaving installation. Keep what’s left of the original tuners for posterity, of course, but in my opinion, I’d rather have all new pegs than mismatched old and new pegs.... and new ebony pegs are widely available online for little $$$.

Unless you have the tools to do the job yourself... as I do for some reason or another :rolleyes:
But for best results, violin pegs need to be shaved and the headstock reamed to a matching taper now and then.

Thanks for the input.

I need two because I just purchased a uke that is missing two.

I actually have a peg shaver and reamer because I used to do work on violins (I am not sure if the reamer would be the correct taper though). I would much rather find two vintage replacements than fit new ebony pegs.

Last edited:
Maybe someone can post an outline template that we can make from for ourselves. I'm also interested in some.

Maybe someone can post an outline template that we can make from for ourselves. I'm also interested in some.

Unless you really want to make some, you can purchase pre-made ebony pegs for real cheap (they'll still have to be fitted though).

The original Martin ones look as though they were dyed, so I am guessing that they may have been made of maple.

I am looking for originals because I like to keep things as original as possible. There are enough people who dislike wooden pegs and have had them swapped out, so I thought that there may be some spares floating around. I was also thinking that there may be a shop that does a lot of repairs and might have a stock of vintage uke tuners.

Try contacting Jake Wildewood at Antebellum Instruments in Vermont. He does a lot of vintage instrument restoration. He may be able to help you with vintage tuners.

You can often find them on ebay

There is a set supposedly for 1920ush martin on eBay right now, I just stumbled across. To be clear, I am merely reporting and can not vouch for them. Pricey but if you need them they are there.

There is a set supposedly for 1920ush martin on eBay right now, I just stumbled across. To be clear, I am merely reporting and can not vouch for them. Pricey but if you need them they are there.

The one's for like $99? Those have been for sale for a while. Unfortunately, they are too early (I think the teens) for my uke. Thanks for looking out though!

Yes, the $99 ones, but they looked good. There was a single too, but it kinda looked like it might look if I was the whittler.... personally I would just put pegheds on it. But enjoy the hunt, I am sure they are out there!

Yes, the $99 ones, but they looked good. There was a single too, but it kinda looked like it might look if I was the whittler.... personally I would just put pegheds on it. But enjoy the hunt, I am sure they are out there!

I'd personally rather just have the originals. I had Pegheds on a fiddle and thought they were fine, but a good fitted set of wooden pegs works great for me.

Top Bottom