Season 380: Songs about the Golden State.

aspieman456

Reaction score
Hi, folks. It's me, Dave,,or Aspieman 456 on my Ukulele Underground account. If some of you recall, I did my first seasons for desserts last fall, and it was such a great success. I can't thank you enough.

Now, I'm returning with a new theme. This time, about my birthstate of California. We have such marvelous weather, cities and places to visit, which makes it ideal for this week's theme. I was born and raised in southern California my whole life.

All you have to do is find songs about California either in the song title or in the lyrics of the song. You can even play songs about the towns and cities of California, like Los Angeles, San Francisco or even Napa Valley or Death Valley.

Now for the rules. Starting time is Sunday at 12:00 am Hawaiian time and ending time is at Sunday at 12:00 am Hawaiian time.
Ukuleles must be the dominant player.
Collaborations and multitracking are welcome, too.
As for prizes, none are provided, as with the Desserts theme I hosted.
I'm allowing three videos a day this time.
Cover songs and original material of this week's theme are gladly welcome.
I hope this seasons comes off as sunny as the California sun. You have alot of wonderful songs about this state in the U.S.

Make it a sunny day at CA and good luck.

Dave.

P.S. Here's the playlist:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt6GoZiXwSatP45cbCY-7jDXc52xcKH8l

Last edited:
California, here I come! Great idea, Dave ... hope that there are more songs about the Golden State than actually come to mind (about four at the moment)

California, here I come! Great idea, Dave ... hope that there are more songs about the Golden State than actually come to mind (about four at the moment)

I know there are a lot of great song about CA. I'm imagining a lot of people here playong Stuff like Eric Clapton's version of San Francisco Bay Blues.

Last edited:
Geez, some people are so uppity about some songs performed.

My guess is there are two reasons why it may not get played much.

1) Don Henley and his management (lawyers) are extremely diligent about banning any of their songs that get put up on YouTube without their permission.

2) Many people have heard it toooooooooooooooooooo many times :)

TCK is just warning people that if you cover eagles songs, the copyright chaser for their stuff is so super strict, you can get videos or even your whole channel taken down. it's really not like most other artists/copyright holders who at the most maybe put adverts on your cover, or mute the audio, or something.

I've seen a lot of videos of people performing "Hotel California" that are on still on YT for many years and they haven't been taken off.

Jesse Fuller classic blues San Fancisco Bay Blues
The Clapton version is very uptempo so that it sounds that he is happy to be sad
I slowed it right down. I was actually sitting in a barrel of treacle when I sung this
and I stayed awake for 99 hours so that I could play this slow. I was so sleepy and relaxed
that I would have made a sloth seem like Usain Bolt.

I've seen a lot of videos of people performing "Hotel California" that are on still on YT for many years and they haven't been taken off.

I think it depends on where in the world you are. Henley & Frey certainly had a reputation for being particularly zealous about copyright and would object to any Eagles cover put up. It seems that it was mainly in the USA where they got take down notices issued as copyright rules & how they are applied differ from country to country. I remember that UU's Seeso had his channel taken down by them.

Top Bottom