Season 380: Songs about the Golden State.

"Nostalgic Bells" by Forest Sun references L.A. in the first verse. right after a line about having been to both heaven and hell. Forest didn't specify where he puts LA on that spectrum; you'll have to decide. If you don't know the song, check out the original at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgNloIPzvXc.

Great theme, and already some great songs coming in I wasn't familiar with. Thanks for hosting! Written by Woody Guthrie, "This Land is Your Land" was probably made more famous by Pete Seeger and some of the others who carried on singing it long after Woody could no longer play or sing . . .

Here's on The Derailers did in the 90's, that has a heavy Beach Boys influence to it, so I asked AlanDP to add some of that west coast harmony to it, and he gladly obliged. I think it came out pretty well! Thanks Alan!

Ok, let's see what happens on YT, one practice, one take and some quiet overdubs in the background ( 2 uke and 1 percussion). Sorry Dave but I've not played it before and I was curious to see how it sounded on bari uke, I've edited it down to 3 minutes. Having said that you probably won't listen to it :)

I wish you'd have your video unlisted. This is a subtle and lovely performance you did.

Last edited:
This is a song covered by a good few artists but best known in the UK as a Rolling Stones song. Some of you may not be surprised to hear that I prefer the Depeche Mode version, which was a B-side for one of their singles back in the 80s. Nearly resisted the temptation to add a little keyboard and rhythm enhancement! ;)

News Flash: I'm going to scale back the video limit to two instead of three. I've tried having three, but it was more than I can take in, so there you go.
Anyway, I got so many songs of California and I can't thank all of you enough. Keep up the good work, everybody!

Last edited:
Two of my good friends are now watching Eric Burdon and the Animals perform live in Central California! They say his voice has held up remarkably well. Something about a visit to the crossroads ...

That aside, here's one from The Rivieras done very well by Dave Alvin and Los Straitjackets! And not as well by me.

Bragg, Wilco, Guthrie
For the second time today ;)
Scratch that- 3rd time today ;)

Last edited:
Ok, let's see what happens on YT, one practice, one take and some quiet overdubs in the background ( 2 uke and 1 percussion). Sorry Dave but I've not played it before and I was curious to see how it sounded on bari uke, I've edited it down to 3 minutes. Having said that you probably won't listen to it :)

that was lovely! i rushed to see it while it remains up! i really hope it doesn't get taken down! (comments still disabled, which is why i'm chatting about it here!)

Not exactly a mention of a specific city in California, but if you are from the north end you likely know what the East Bay is. It is where I was born.

Pacific Grove - Matt Costa

This is a song about a place in California from an album named after a place in California (2018's Santa Rosa Fangs) that's all about things that took place in California. It's a bit of a concept album with reoccurring characters and a story line that weaves itself throughout the songs, though that's not exactly clear upon first listen. He tells a bit of the back story in this incredibly well-written and brief film The Road to Santa Rosa Fangs. It's an album catchy enough to where you can enjoy it simply as background music, but also layered enough you can get engrossed in the characters and story.

The visual effects here were not intentional. For some reason I couldn't get the video off one device and onto another, so I figured I'd just record the screen of the one with the other. I actually kinda like it. I have my own Bob Ross happy accident going on here :) Anyway, these aren't the chords from the original or all the same lyrics. That stuff was tough to find on this one, so I transposed it to a different key and played with it some. It was fun, in the most effortful way possible. HA!

Dave, I didn't find the playlist on your original post. Do you plan to make one?

Top Bottom