Season 380: Songs about the Golden State.

Another..
Not always sunny in California.
This was a hit in Australia in the 70's.A big power ballad by a versatile actor / singer / musician / comedian called Jon English.He had an impressive vocal range.The original had 3 key changes.Mine has none.And I've folkified it somewhat "Hollywood Seven".

Jesse Fuller classic blues San Fancisco Bay Blues
The Clapton version is very uptempo so that it sounds that he is happy to be sad.

Peter, Paul & Mary used to cover this song. I remember them introducing it with a tale about Jesse "Lone Cat" Fuller that he wanted to sing the blues, but he wanted his audience to be happy at the same time, so all his sad songs would have a jaunty beat to them. :)

The thing that bugs me about the Clapton version is he gets the words wrong and so gets the story all mixed up - and yet, because it's him, his version is the one that everyone covers.

Peter, Paul & Mary used to cover this song. I remember them introducing it with a tale about Jesse "Lone Cat" Fuller that he wanted to sing the blues, but he wanted his audience to be happy at the same time, so all his sad songs would have a jaunty beat to them. :)

The thing that bugs me about the Clapton version is he gets the words wrong and so gets the story all mixed up - and yet, because it's him, his version is the one that everyone covers.

here's another version.

Here's a song by Tompall and the Glaser Brothers I did awhile back, and I was just thinking of this song the other day, so perfect time to try it again. I did it on one take this time, and it's not the easiest song to pull off, but I really like this tune.

California Stars

I almost never get to be able to post anything on a Sunday any more, so I'm making the most of this opportunity! One for UkingViking's bossa nova season, and this one for Dave's - all done in under half an hour! :)

p.s., the T-shirt shows a map of all Mark Cavendish's victories in the Tour de France :)

Last edited:
Hi, Dave ... you are right; there are loads of songs about California! I have reached a disastrous state with my Internet access for the week (well, till 5th June, actually), but have managed to get this one up. I really want to hear everyone else's contributions, but shall be confined to middle-of-the-night listening. This song is from Woodstock 1969 ...

Hello Seasonistas! This is the first original song I’ve ever submitted for the seasons. Great name for the theme this week as I live in the Golden State, I’m a Golden State Warriors fan (see shirt, plus I’m wearing an A’s hat!), and the uke I’m playing was made in San Francisco. Go Dubs! :)

Last edited:
Ok, let's see what happens on YT, one practice, one take and some quiet overdubs in the background ( 2 uke and 1 percussion). Sorry Dave but I've not played it before and I was curious to see how it sounded on bari uke, I've edited it down to 3 minutes. Having said that you probably won't listen to it :)
thought you were gonna take a break and work on some originals mate;
instead you went for the mother of all covers. wtf?
nice version. I won't tell TCK I promise. :)

thought you were gonna take a break and work on some originals mate;
instead you went for the mother of all covers. wtf?
nice version. I won't tell TCK I promise. :)

The missus decided to visit her best mate in the Lake District yesterday, she's not back until Wednesday so I've got loads of unexpected free time, hence this quick cover for the Season :)

The missus decided to visit her best mate in the Lake District yesterday, she's not back until Wednesday so I've got loads of unexpected free time, hence this quick cover for the Season :)

aye brother, when the cat's away...
why did you make it 'unlisted' and disable comments though mate?
if you want to put the censors to work then go the distance huh?

aye brother, when the cat's away...
why did you make it 'unlisted' and disable comments though mate?
if you want to put the censors to work then go the distance huh?

Didn't realise I'd disabled comments, I'll sort it.

Did I get the Season number wrong? Yep... This one from The Move jumped out from my list of possibles.

Top Bottom