The End of Southern Cross Banjo Ukes

DPO

Reaction score
I have always been able to sell my instruments quite readily however this
year I have made two neither of which have sold.
It is pointless making things which don't sell so I have decided not to make anymore, I will continue making "Fantail and Teardrop" ukes for the local market. The tenor Banjo uke on the marketplace will be my last one, if it hasn't sold in a week or so I will keep it.
Thanks to everyone who has supported me over the last few years it has been fun.
Best wishes

EDIT

I will no longer build banjo ukes on spec, but will build them as confirmed customer orders only.
I think that on reflection that makes more sense.

Last edited:
Hi
What’s your website? I want to let another UU member know

Thanks

That is sad to hear, Dennis. I have certainly admired your builds. But I guess admiration alone don't pay the bills. :(

By the way, is there a reason you are restricting the fantail/teardrop to the "local market"? Looking back at your posts, I think they were mostly in the $300-400 range. That should open up a much broader pool of "tyre kickers" :p

By the way, is there a reason you are restricting the fantail/teardrop to the "local market"? Looking back at your posts, I think they were mostly in the $300-400 range. That should open up a much broader pool of "tyre kickers" :p

Yes, you're probably right Jim, I shall reflect on that.
Cheers

Dennis, your banjo ukes look beautifully crafted ... but it seems that you may be battling an inevitable numbers game. The popularity of, and demand for banjo ukes has always been small when compared to that of conventional/traditional ukuleles. This can be evidenced from the UAS and wish lists of forum members. At a recent uke fest, I spoke with an experienced luthier who, like you, built both traditional and banjo ukes, and he too had decided to drop his line of banjo ukes and concentrate on traditional instruments. The reasons cited were the high cost of quality hardware, longer construction times and the difficulty of obtaining a fair price when competing with Asian imports. Another persuasive argument that I often hear is that banjo ukes are usually only suited to a few of the songs in a group's repertoire, so many players are reluctant to make the extra outlay.

Yes, tend to agree, its a tough market, you have the flea banjo line, the dukes, the popular gold tone gems now, the new outdoor banjo uke tenor... and honestly, they sound and play pretty nice....for what they are.

However Dennis, I am the banjo uke player in my performance group the “kooks” and I play your creation, my Southern Cross concert, and happy to have one.

Attachments

• F6749195-19E3-403C-AC71-B34974D071C2.jpg
    F6749195-19E3-403C-AC71-B34974D071C2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 44
  • D7D86270-4EEA-45B1-9007-1B66D4275E2E.jpg
    D7D86270-4EEA-45B1-9007-1B66D4275E2E.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 40
When you have filled up the pot, it's time to stop pouring - sadly. Banjo ukulele are an even smaller niche than regular ukulele. I suspect there are many seemingly unconnected reasons for business drying up Dennis, nothing to do with you and it would be interesting to hear from Aaron who seems to be acing this type of instrument in the US.

Your ukes are beautiful but I will never be able to afford one. They really are art.
I've really appreciated your help on creating the cheap little banjo/cookie tin ukes I've been putting together. For me they're just fun, though with your help I do have one now that actually plays really well for about $60 in parts and a whole lot of fiddling.
Take care!

Dennis, your banjo ukes look beautifully crafted ... but it seems that you may be battling an inevitable numbers game. The popularity of, and demand for banjo ukes has always been small when compared to that of conventional/traditional ukuleles. This can be evidenced from the UAS and wish lists of forum members. At a recent uke fest, I spoke with an experienced luthier who, like you, built both traditional and banjo ukes, and he too had decided to drop his line of banjo ukes and concentrate on traditional instruments. The reasons cited were the high cost of quality hardware, longer construction times and the difficulty of obtaining a fair price when competing with Asian imports. Another persuasive argument that I often hear is that banjo ukes are usually only suited to a few of the songs in a group's repertoire, so many players are reluctant to make the extra outlay.

You're right on just about all counts. The hardware costs are a kiiller, and I used only top quality imprted from Canada. I couldn't bring myself to use the cheap crap that is so widely used in the cheaper end of the spectrum. Plus a very limiited marketplace. Never mind, it's all part of the riich tapestry of life. I have much more important things to worry about.

When you have filled up the pot, it's time to stop pouring - sadly. Banjo ukulele are an even smaller niche than regular ukulele. I suspect there are many seemingly unconnected reasons for business drying up Dennis, nothing to do with you and it would be interesting to hear from Aaron who seems to be acing this type of instrument in the US.

You're right Pete, I have no regrets stopping spec building, happy to build custom instruments if they are wanted.
I must admit I have wondered how Aaron does so well considering the price differential. But more power to him.

Your ukes are beautiful but I will never be able to afford one. They really are art.
I've really appreciated your help on creating the cheap little banjo/cookie tin ukes I've been putting together. For me they're just fun, though with your help I do have one now that actually plays really well for about $60 in parts and a whole lot of fiddling.
Take care!

The pleasure was all mine.

Top Bottom