"The Camera You Have with You"

Jerryc41

Reaction score
We often hear that the best camera is the one you have with you. This was proven true recently.

I went to a semi-annual dinner with people from my high school class. At the last minute, I decided to bring my tiny Sony WX9, which easily fits into a pocket. Usually, a friend with a D810 takes lots of beautiful pictures, but I figured I'd get a few shots, too.

As it turned out, the "pro" guy had problems with his D810/flash combo, so he got only four pics, while I got over a dozen. Low tech is better than high tech when the high tech isn't working.

EDIT: Too funny! I posted this on the wrong forum! I go back and forth between a photo forum and this one. Somehow, I posted this here, rather than there. I imagine people will wonder why I posted this here. (So do I.) :)

Last edited:
Very true! I think that applies to a lot of the stuff we have surrounding us. However, your little camera is high tech" to someone's "kodak".

Having given up photography as a hobby, I no longer carry one 'just in case' I see something.

But I will take one with me occasionally when I go somewhere a bit special, 'just in case' I want to get a shot, (usually a tiny pocket compact with a 10x zoom).

That is so true. My brother used to be a professional sound recordist working in film and TV. He tells of an occasion when it was necessary to record the vocal reactions of a glider pilot undertaking his first solo flight. The director insisted on recording onto a large reel-to-reel tape machine - he despised "unprofessional, crappy" small cassette recorders. My brother looked at the radio transmitter needed to make this work, and was not happy. He secured a cassette recorder in the cockpit with gaffer tape, without telling the director.

The radio link failed, and the once only event could not be repeated. The director was distraught, until my bro told him about the "crappy" cassette recording, which had captured the event quite adequately.

John Colter.

That is so true. My brother used to be a professional sound recordist working in film and TV. He tells of an occasion when it was necessary to record the vocal reactions of a glider pilot undertaking his first solo flight. The director insisted on recording onto a large reel-to-reel tape machine - he despised "unprofessional, crappy" small cassette recorders. My brother looked at the radio transmitter needed to make this work, and was not happy. He secured a cassette recorder in the cockpit with gaffer tape, without telling the director.

The radio link failed, and the once only event could not be repeated. The director was distraught, until my bro told him about the "crappy" cassette recording, which had captured the event quite adequately.

John Colter.

Yes, for "the first time," you must have a backup.

....so, you’re going to leave us all in the dark as to your choice of entree at this semi-annual event?

....so, you’re going to leave us all in the dark as to your choice of entree at this semi-annual event?

Salmon - delicious. It was the hors d'oeuvres that were really impressive. They kept coming in waves. Open bar, too. Since I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get home, I limited myself to one porter.

What a difference an ocean makes.

What is a Semi Annual Dinner?

What about your phone camera? I don't even know where a real camera is in my house anymore.

What about your phone camera? I don't even know where a real camera is in my house anymore.

I don't have much luck with that. It's probably having to hold it up in front of me that makes the pictures less than sharp. I use it so little that I'm not accustomed to how to do what. Right now, it's in video mode, and I don't know how to get back to stills. :)

I prefer my big, heavy, awkward Nikon DSLRs.

Right now I cannot charge my real camera, as the charger has gone missing. I have a camera on my cell phone, and another on my iPad. Haven’t done so, but these “cameras” can also do videos with audio.

I imagine people will wonder why I posted this here. (So do I.) :)
I figured it was an analogy to ukuleles: the one you have with you sounds way better than the one left behind!

Part of today’s plan is to pack up my SLR and lenses to sell. Haven’t used it much in ages, and I don’t foresee wanting to carry the weight ever again. As your point goes: my phone that’s with me captures much better pics than the big glass sitting on a shelf!

Right now I cannot charge my real camera, as the charger has gone missing. I have a camera on my cell phone, and another on my iPad. Haven’t done so, but these “cameras” can also do videos with audio.

Amazon has generic batteries and chargers for good prices. I've been using them for years.

I figured it was an analogy to ukuleles: the one you have with you sounds way better than the one left behind!

Part of today’s plan is to pack up my SLR and lenses to sell. Haven’t used it much in ages, and I don’t foresee wanting to carry the weight ever again. As your point goes: my phone that’s with me captures much better pics than the big glass sitting on a shelf!

Look up your gear on eBay and go down the left column and click on "Sold items." That will show you what people were willing to pay.

My son likes taking photographs, has studied the subject, and finds he can get the results he wants with his smart phone. I've got several decent "proper" cameras, but they only out perform the smart phone in certain circumstances, like when you need to shoot in very low light, or with telephoto capability.

And the smart phone is always in his pocket...............

John Colter.

My son likes taking photographs, has studied the subject, and finds he can get the results he wants with his smart phone. I've got several decent "proper" cameras, but they only out perform the smart phone in certain circumstances, like when you need to shoot in very low light, or with telephoto capability.

And the smart phone is always in his pocket...............

John Colter.

Regardless of the camera, skill place a big part in getting good pictures. That's why I'm not a professional photographer. : )

We often hear that the best camera is the one you have with you. This was proven true recently.

I went to a semi-annual dinner with people from my high school class. At the last minute, I decided to bring my tiny Sony WX9, which easily fits into a pocket. Usually, a friend with a D810 takes lots of beautiful pictures, but I figured I'd get a few shots, too.

As it turned out, the "pro" guy had problems with his D810/flash combo, so he got only four pics, while I got over a dozen. Low tech is better than high tech when the high tech isn't working.

EDIT: Too funny! I posted this on the wrong forum! I go back and forth between a photo forum and this one. Somehow, I posted this here, rather than there. I imagine people will wonder why I posted this here. (So do I.) :)

This could apply to ukuleles, too. A functioning ukulele is better than a fancy non-functioning ukulele. :)

Here's one of my son's shots. Pretty good for a phone camera, I think.

John Colter

Attachments

• Smart phone photo by David Colter.jpg
    Smart phone photo by David Colter.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 24
So, I graduated from high school in the stone age. My dad ALWAYS had his camera with him for special occasions. It was his hobby. He was snapping picture after picture. Couldn't understand why he could get so many pics from one roll of film.

Um, yeah. There was no film in the camera. Luckily, I had given my cheapo point and shot camera to my brother and he had taken some shots . . .

Top Bottom