Hive Hornet Redwood and Birdseye Maple Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
As I said in my MB post, I need to raise some money and am selling my two best ukuleles. Next up is my custom Hive Hornet #16037, that I had Jake build for me to my specs. Redwood top with upgraded, magnificent, Birdseye Maple back and sides. Ebony fingerboard, bridge, head and back plates. Segmented Ebony and Birdseye Maple rosette. I am somewhat biased, but this is one of the most beautiful uke that I have ever seen. Gotoh UPT tuners. 12 frets to the body, which is Jake's build of choice. This uke is in mint, as new condition. No nicks, scratches or even strum marks. This uke has a clean, crisp, but yet somewhat more mellow sound than his Spruce top ukes have. But unlike many ukes that I would describe as mellow, it has fantastic volume, and is very balanced. It is strung re-entrant with Oasis brights, but I have replaced the C string with a wound Southcoast. Great sound. I am asking $3200.00 which includes the Ameritage gold case and USPS Express shipping CONUS. Paypal please.IMG_5123.jpgIMG_5125.jpgIMG_5131.jpgIMG_5132.jpg

Last edited:
It appears to have a flat fretboard, is that correct??

Yes, that is correct Dave.

I have mixed feeling about that answer as I only buy ukes with radiused fretboard.

Sad because that is an instrument I would love to own. Happy because I saved myself a big chunk of change:p

Best of luck with the sale Dana

I have mixed feeling about that answer as I only buy ukes with radiused fretboard.

Sad because that is an instrument I would love to own. Happy because I saved myself a big chunk of change:p

Best of luck with the sale Dana

Thanks Dave. But just like Chuck's ukes that don't have radiused fretboards, this one plays like buttah.

Wow Dana., your letting a couple of superb ones go. I didn't even see the MB before it was sold so quickly.

Alas, i would love to have this one but I would have to sell like 3 just to cover costs..

Its a real beauty. Good luck with this sale. Someone will be very happy.

I am a card carrying member of the Hive and love Jake's work in all respects. This is a stunner. Not only is that set of birdseye maple spectacular, Jake rarely builds with redwood so you won't see too many of these.

Jake's ukes are remarkably consistent in tone and his wait list in generally well over a year and frequently closer to two. For anyone on the fence, my finger is twitching so don't hesitate.

I had the pleasure of attending the Mountain Acoustics Luthier Festival in Burnsville, NC this weekend. All of the ukes from Luthiers for a Cause (referenced in Ukulele Eddie’s signature above) were on display, and I was able to play and handle them all. Jake was one of the luthiers involved. I bring this up because, for those not familiar with LFAC, each instrument was made with a redwood soundboard, all from the same famous tree (Lucky Strike I believe it’s called). Those instruments were made with mahogany back and sides from ‘The Tree’ rather than maple, so it’s not apples to apples. However, I can tell you that, at least to me, Jake’s stood out from the crowd (I will concede that it was pretty loud in the room, but even over the background noise, she sounded so, so sweet.). If I weren’t already on his build list, I’d scoop this up.

If you want to hear a redwood uke from Jake, click on the link in Eddie’s signature. If anyone is on the fence and that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will.

Good luck with the sale. I’m sorry that you’re needing to offload these gems.

Thanks Scott, Eddie, and mnb128. Eddie is correct about Jake's wait time. And this one is offered at a significant discount. Scott, this one would be worth moving three for! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom