NID Moon Bird uke and Fly Bird guitar

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
NID: Moon Bird uke and Fly Bird guitar

This might be a new category: New Instruments Day! Recently, the stars aligned and two new aNueNue instruments, uke and guitar, came into my life. It started late one night about three weeks ago. I was playing on Facebook and noticed a new post by Hawaii Music Suppy which said the Moon Bird ukes were back in stock:

FB post.JPG

So, I immediately jumped over to The Ukulele Site and pounced on a Moon Bird Tenor with an L.R. Baggs pickup. The tenors were all sold by the next morning.

A few days later, I was looking around aNueNue's web site and noticed they have a short-scale nylon string guitar called the MN214 Fly Bird model. It looked like the Moon Bird ukulele's big brother, so I ordered one from aNueNue. Both instruments have now been delivered, and they are both fantastic!

Once again, the folks at the Ukulele Site outdid themselves with this Moon Bird Tenor. I swear they get better with every uke I order! The Moon Bird was packed like a cardboard bank vault. I believe the packing materials weighed as much as the uke and case. Of course it arrived in pristine condition, with a perfect setup and pickup install. It looks and sounds great, but I don't like the stock strings that came on it. I bet it will really sing when I put on some Living Waters. What else can I say about a Moon Bird Tenor? I'm just thrilled to finally have one!

As for the Fly Bird guitar, it shipped from Taiwan very quickly, and arrived in perfect condition. It looks almost exactly like the Moon Bird uke, only larger, and it sounds amazingly full and resonant. With the cutaway, offset soundhole, and strap buttons, it seems more like a "hybrid" than a classical guitar.

20190526_164541.jpg 20190526_165450.jpg 20190526_165835.jpg
AF1QipODNn0ozVjkSo_Le-uOkmV8LLOUWj1RSaNav1ns

For someone who plays ukulele and guitar, this might be a perfect pair! :cool:

Last edited:
Congrats on your new instruments. Great choices and fast hands! ANueNue moon birds are selling like hot cakes.

I know you got the fly bird but just to pipe your interest, you heard of the s10 feather bird? It’s a half nylon guitar or you can called it a baritone guitarlele. I think it would be great addition to your aNueNue collection.

wow they look fantastic

Can I ask you please what is the scale length for the fly bird, the nut width, and e-E distance at the bridge..

I've been looking for a short scale classical, and this may be the answer..

cheers

Hi, Steedy! I was waiting for your NGD in guitar room. :) As you said that the fly bird guitar was shipped from Taiwan a week ago. I thought it would take about 40 days to US. Congrats on the nice uku and guitar. This Fly Bird guitar is high end guitar. I think we can not have such nice short scale nylon string guitar other than this one.

Congrats! Like the offset sound hole on the guitar.

Congrats on your new instruments. Great choices and fast hands! ANueNue moon birds are selling like hot cakes.

I know you got the fly bird but just to pipe your interest, you heard of the s10 feather bird? It’s a half nylon guitar or you can called it a baritone guitarlele. I think it would be great addition to your aNueNue collection.

The S10 Feather Bird looks nice, but it's smaller than I prefer. Besides, it doesn't match my Moon Bird Tenor uke!

wow they look fantastic

Can I ask you please what is the scale length for the fly bird, the nut width, and e-E distance at the bridge..

I've been looking for a short scale classical, and this may be the answer..

cheers

The scale length is 610 mm (24 inches), and the nut width is 48 mm (1.89 inches). I don't know the distance at the bridge.

Hi, Steedy! I was waiting for your NGD in guitar room. :) As you said that the fly bird guitar was shipped from Taiwan a week ago. I thought it would take about 40 days to US. Congrats on the nice uku and guitar. This Fly Bird guitar is high end guitar. I think we can not have such nice short scale nylon string guitar other than this one.

The guitar shipped from Taipei, Taiwan on 20-May and was delivered to my home in Nashville, TN, USA on 24-May. Amazing, I know!

Last edited:
Steedy......you are my hero dude, what a gorgeous pair of instruments. Is the fretboard on the guitar flat or does it have a radius. I know the Moonbird ukes have a radius. Thanks and enjoy them, please let's us know what you think of the sound and overall playability of the guitar.

Congratulations times 2!

The S10 Feather Bird looks nice, but it's smaller than I prefer. Besides, it doesn't match my Moon Bird Tenor uke!

Now that I realised that the flybird is the exact same design as the moon bird. Great choice!

Is it tuned E to E or A to A?

hmm... tempting! Especially since the nut width and scale are a touch smaller than the DH6 which I've been waiting to get back in stock. 48 mm vs 49, and 20" vs 21". I'm looking for something as small as possible, which is still tuned E to E. Wonder how the actual body size compares?

It seems quite inexpensive, as well- MUCH less than the DH6. There is one on Reverb for $255, although it's in Malaysia so the shipping is $100. Although only the top is solid wood, as compared to the DH6 which is all solid wood.

Steedy......you are my hero dude, what a gorgeous pair of instruments. Is the fretboard on the guitar flat or does it have a radius. I know the Moonbird ukes have a radius. Thanks and enjoy them, please let's us know what you think of the sound and overall playability of the guitar.

The fretboard on the Fly Bird guitar looks and feels non-radiused, like a classical guitar. I grew up playing a classical guitar and learned early how to bar a flat fretboard, so it's comfortable for me. Thanks!

GAH! I feel an onset of GAS...I used to play classical guitar and the Anuenue FlyBird MN214 nylon guitar is calling me....must resist....I am an uke gal now.

Top Bottom