Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Ukulele for a big guy?

riprock: you beat me to the joke.

Another option if you're concerned with straying too far from the ukulele sound is to get a long neck model. Concert neck on a soprano body or tenor neck on a concert body, or if you don't mind the proportions, there are tenor necks on soprano bodies. But keep the nut width in mind as a narrow nut negates some of the advantage of a longer neck.
    Glenn

Have to try different sizes. There are some big guys that play sopranino's and there was a video bouncing around a while back of a 5 year old Korean girl playing a 12 string jumbo guitar. Never know!

Is this big enough?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grandma Uker Penny

Here’s maybe an ukulele just for you.
    A soprano size with concert neck and tenor fretboard width.

Shima Ukulele Link:
    http://shimaukulele.com

Review for Shima Ukulele
    https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/01/...eneck.html?m=1
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Obviously, choose whatever feels comfortable for you; I am a big chap myself,and having tried (and owned!) all the sizes/scales on offer, I settled on soprano as my 'weapon of choice' a good few years ago! But whatever suits YOU is what makes it all the more enjoyable!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Take a look at what size Uke that was played by IZ ( Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole )
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

I'm about your size and I started with a concert and now mainly play tenor although I have sopranos. So Whatever you feel like.

About 20 years ago, I met Jaime Guardia, a master charango player from Peru. The charango has ten strings in pairs and a slightly wider neck than a uke to fit the ten strings. Don Jaime was about 300lb with fingers like hot dogs but he played like an angel. So anyone can play anything if they work at it. Maybe not this good. I have a charango now and I'm trying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt9NTvlEpOM

I think Iz played a tenor Martin, hence the commemorative Iz edition of the Martin Tenor.

Big hands here, too, but I find I can noodle around on the sopranino we have just fine. The trouble for me comes from playing for too long on the smaller sizes, say more than 30 minutes at a time.

For my go-to, everyday uke, I'll echo what some others have said: wider nut (~36-38mm does it for me) and a concert size body would be my first ukulele specs if I was to do it all over again.

Concert is a nice size, as it still retains some of that jangle that a soprano has, but affords a slightly larger range and can be, if desired, strung with a low G for linear tuning.
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

I appreciate everyones input.

My wife and daughter are all working on learning as well. It looks like we are going to be a minimum of a 3 Ukulele family! We have a soprano, which fits my wife very well (4'11" with small hands), my daughter is taller and is looking at a concert size, and I am going to pick up a tenor! So no matter what, we will have a good variety of Uke's on hand to learn and play with!

Thread Information