Kiwaya KTS-7 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
I'm going to have to ask the horrible question baz...

How does it compare to your timms?

Kiwaya never fails to impress me. You don't get much better than this (if at all). Great review!

I'm going to have to ask the horrible question baz...

How does it compare to your timms?

The Timms got 0.1 out of 10 more than this. That’s all I’m saying!!

I owned a SK-39 for a while and I couldn't stop looking at it (despite the incorrect pendeloke), so I can't begin to imagine how nice this one is. I liked looking at the SK-39 more than playing it. Don't imagine I'd have the same issue here!

The one nod I'll give to the SK-39, besides actually being in my price range, it had that awesome birch binding. Another diversion from the Style 3 design, but if I was going for a custom, that birch binding really pops.

Sorry if the review was too hard on the SK39. I think Ohana really turned a corner on quality and attention to detail with that one, and it actually didn’t get a terrible score from me. The sound though left me wanting quite a bit.

Still, it’s only mentioned here as it’s the only other Style 3 copy I know of, so naturally it comes into focus with this one. The KTS 7 is a tough one to bear of course.

I too love the birch binding!

I briefly owned a kts-6 but returned it as the frets were too low. The desire might have been for low action but it felt wrong when trying out bar chords. How would you compare the frets of this one to Ken Timms?

Similar. When it comes to a soprano I personally want low / micro frets. They are not common on cheaper sopranos as they are less forgiving on intonation, but when a builder gets the intonationas good as Kiwaya do, small frets all the way for me.

Not entirely sure why big frets would be preferable? Not saying you are wrong, but smaller frets are just easier to play and faster?

Excellent review!
If I wanted a soprano, it would have to be either this or the Timms!

Similar. When it comes to a soprano I personally want low / micro frets. They are not common on cheaper sopranos as they are less forgiving on intonation, but when a builder gets the intonationas good as Kiwaya do, small frets all the way for me.

Not entirely sure why big frets would be preferable? Not saying you are wrong, but smaller frets are just easier to play and faster?
Contours of flesh on my fingers make it hard to pin all strings down for bar chords. The best playability I have experienced for sopranos is my TinGuitar and those frets are not micro!

Another great review. Even though I do prefer no fretboard extension, this is one gorgeous soprano.

I still really want a Timms and a KTS-4, but might have to keep this in mind also.

Great review. I love this maker. The only complaint I have about Kiwaya is that their headstock decals often seem a bit delicate....as if they could use another coat or two of finish up there to protect them from the effects of clip-on tuners and the like. Anybody else notice this?

Never had one come off myself.. Now the Martin stickers on the other hand....

They don’t come off, in my experience, they just get marred a bit...a tint flake off here...the gold gets smudged there.

I don't own a Kiwaya yet, but I have seen what your talking about on used ukes that people put up for sale.

Great review. I love this maker. The only complaint I have about Kiwaya is that their headstock decals often seem a bit delicate....as if they could use another coat or two of finish up there to protect them from the effects of clip-on tuners and the like. Anybody else notice this?

Yeah, I had a Famous decal starting to wear off. Now I position my clip-on tuners accordingly.

You know, there is an element of 'what came first, the decal or the clip on tuner' here I guess. These things have been around a lot longer than clip on tuners. In fact I remember the first clip on tuners when they appeared in the late 1990's (Intellitouch?). People managed just fine without them back then...

Top Bottom