Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiwaya KTS-7 Soprano - REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Similar. When it comes to a soprano I personally want low / micro frets. They are not common on cheaper sopranos as they are less forgiving on intonation, but when a builder gets the intonationas good as Kiwaya do, small frets all the way for me.

Not entirely sure why big frets would be preferable? Not saying you are wrong, but smaller frets are just easier to play and faster?
    Contours of flesh on my fingers make it hard to pin all strings down for bar chords. The best playability I have experienced for sopranos is my TinGuitar and those frets are not micro!

Another great review. Even though I do prefer no fretboard extension, this is one gorgeous soprano.

I still really want a Timms and a KTS-4, but might have to keep this in mind also.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Great review. I love this maker. The only complaint I have about Kiwaya is that their headstock decals often seem a bit delicate....as if they could use another coat or two of finish up there to protect them from the effects of clip-on tuners and the like. Anybody else notice this?
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Never had one come off myself.. Now the Martin stickers on the other hand....
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Never had one come off myself.. Now the Martin stickers on the other hand....
    They don’t come off, in my experience, they just get marred a bit...a tint flake off here...the gold gets smudged there.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Martin C-1 (ca. 1947-1955); Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    They don’t come off, in my experience, they just get marred a bit...a tint flake off here...the gold gets smudged there.
    I don't own a Kiwaya yet, but I have seen what your talking about on used ukes that people put up for sale.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    Great review. I love this maker. The only complaint I have about Kiwaya is that their headstock decals often seem a bit delicate....as if they could use another coat or two of finish up there to protect them from the effects of clip-on tuners and the like. Anybody else notice this?
    Yeah, I had a Famous decal starting to wear off. Now I position my clip-on tuners accordingly.
    John

You know, there is an element of 'what came first, the decal or the clip on tuner' here I guess. These things have been around a lot longer than clip on tuners. In fact I remember the first clip on tuners when they appeared in the late 1990's (Intellitouch?). People managed just fine without them back then...
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Beautiful to look at and sounds as good as it looks.
    Clive

How would you compare the sound to the Hamano soprano?

Thread Information