Best left hand technique for steel string

Davoravo

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have just moved from Ukulele to acoustic guitar. I am playing a steel string parlour guitar which i got second hand but intending to upgrade to a 000 size model.

I taught myself ukulele using the classical guitar thumb position for the fret (left) hand. I primarily sing and strum or finger pick. This position felt quite unnatural on the guitar to me for a while but now has slipped into place.

I am now experimenting with the more standard rock and roll or blues fret hand position. This feels much more comfortable and relaxed but my fingers aren't quite so nimble and the switch from barre chords to open chords usually leaves me back in the classical position.

My concern is my overall body posture (which is a bit poor with the smaller parlour body) both for playing guitar and for singing along, in the long term which hand position is going to work best?

Thanks for any advice, sorry if asked before and double sorry if it is purely a matter of preference.

Hi everyone

My concern is my overall body posture (which is a bit poor with the smaller parlour body) both for playing guitar and for singing along, in the long term which hand position is going to work best?

Do you mean you have bad posture—curling over the guitar—due to the small size? Change your sitting position so you can sit up straight with the neck at a 25 to 30 degree angle. Ultimately a better posture will improve fingerboard access and lead to more consistent control of the left hand.

• Use a strap to bring the guitar up to proper playing position.
  • Use a guitar lifter like a cushion or Tenor.

Tenor_detail_3221sm.jpg

My review of the Tenor Guitar Support:

http://www.fraryguitar.com/tenor_tpgs_gtr_support.htm

On my RC Parlor guitar I normally use a strap since I prefer standing but a guitar cushion or suction cup lifter work (e.g., EFEL or Tenor) well for sitting. The only negative for suction cups is you need a clean glossy finish for a solid attachment.

Last edited:
Yes, I am a little curled up, I am conscious of it so i do work on my posture but it is a bit variable. I do have a strap, maybe i should just stand up which is how i would perform in public anyway.

I enjoyed your review, I will keep that support in mind. I had a peak around your very nice website and watched some of your videos. Beautiful playing.

Hi, Davoravo!

We can play guitar in standing posture (see the figure A) and in sitting (B). We take both postures with acoustic guitar and electric guitar. We can locate the head stock next to our head in standing posture too (C). The location of head stock is same as Andrés Segovia (B). Now we can place our thumb behind the neck just same as Andrés Segovia (B) even in the photo C. But now right hand angle is hard to play. Right hand can not work in the position of C. Hence We press the head stock down like Eric Clapton (A) and thumb is over the neck.

Top Bottom