AB-InBev can go Dilly Dilly themselves

YogiTom

Reaction score
This has been pretty front and center in the mead making community, and I thought I’d share for anyone else interested in learning more about this product they should not purchase: https://vinepair.com/booze-news/anheuser-busch-autumnal-mead/

As if the hypocrisy of Bud Light—the company behind the “Dilly Dilly” ads where a mead maker is thrown in the dungeon for his “autumnal mead”—making a mead wasn’t bad enough, they’ve entered the market with a product that doesn’t mention “mead” on its label and also takes a pretty brazen branding tactic of naming it “b” so as to sound like another established meadery, namely B Nektar in Michigan who also makes several low ABV product.

While it is laughable, it is also something our industry could actually benefit from. The “big boy” is entering the pool, and making fermented honey “cool” (Although it has already been for some 12,000 years since we started keeping honeybees :rolleyes:) by making something approachable to mainstream consumers. The sad part is, it is those very same people who were targets of the above “Dilly Dilly” ads.

If you want to taste real mead, you’d be surprised how many there now are available all over the country. By last count, as an industry here in the US, we’ve gone from ~12 nationwide in the 1990s to well over 450 today, with more opening every week. Google one near you and support their hard work, not some marketing money grab from the big boys.

Dilly Dilly! :cheers:

Just make some yourself. Grab some honey add some water. Follow the TOSNA for making it taste good and add some Lavlin 71b-2122 yeast and you should make drinkable Mead within 1 month

Just make some yourself. Grab some honey add some water. Follow the TOSNA for making it taste good and add some Lavlin 71b-2122 yeast and you should make drinkable Mead within 1 month

I like the Joe’s Ancient Orange recipe for first time home mead makers. Almost bullet proof, and it actually will age quite well. I find 71B, while a great mead yeast, can develop some seriously gross flavors if left on the lees for too long. And since racking tends to be the hardest part for newbies, the bread yeast in the JAO recipe is reliably neutral in flavor, regardless of time left in contact with the finished mead.

But I digress...it is stupid how easy it is to make yourself at home. Just darn expensive once you get specialty honey!

My favorite is Orange blossom. I have 12lbs actually I plan to make a 15% semi sweet Mead with. At work I am currently working on getting 60 lbs at a time since we use so much of it. I think I can get a food deal from Dutch and they are local to me too!!

My favorite is Orange blossom. I have 12lbs actually I plan to make a 15% semi sweet Mead with. At work I am currently working on getting 60 lbs at a time since we use so much of it. I think I can get a food deal from Dutch and they are local to me too!!

Dutch Gold is great for honey! Good prices, too, even when shipping across the country like I do. :)

Thankfully, the Orange Blossom honey comes from the Central Valley here in CA, so it doesn't end up going far to get to me.

Top Bottom