New Iuke

The Pashmeister

Reaction score
Hi there.

Just come back from a holiday in China with a new Iuke in my hand luggage.
It's a tobacco sunburst standard shaped uke.
I've seen a few terms used for the smaller-sized ukes and wondered what the difference is - piccolo, sopranino and sopranissimo.
It has though body stringing rather than tie-bar (I presume this is a change to the specification)
Also, this came with Aquila strings, but tuned to standard gCEA tuning (not an octave up as I've seen mentioned many times on this forum and in reviews). I tried tuning it one octave higher and snapped a string.
I've ordered a new set of Aquila strings - there are 2 different sets available - 95U and 94U.
Apparently the 95U are tuned to standard tunings and the 94U are one octave higher.
I've ordered the 95U.
It came without a gig bag so I'm looking for ideas. The official Iuke gig bag is available but I wondered if anyone had any unusual ideas for gig bags for these?

Last edited:
Sopranino is about 11" scale length, sopranissimo is about 10" scale length, at least in Ohana terms. Piccolo, I'm not sure, but probably 10" too. I think it depends on who you're buying from as the names for sub-soprano scales don't always seem consistently used.

Top Bottom