Shopping Every Day?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
How many of you look at the Marketplace, Fleamarket, and Reverb every day? I stopped myself from doing that for a while, but then I had a relapse. A relapse can be expensive. Then I have to wait for FedEx or UPS to arrive so I can sign for something.

One thing I found about searching on Reverb: If you enter, for example, "Martin uke," you may miss some entries. Entering "ukulele" or the model number will get you more. I experimented a bit, and even if "uke" doesn't appear in the item description, Reverb will sometimes find it. Not sure why. So, if you're looking for something specific, try entering different search terms.

If you're selling, the UU Marketplace and Fleamarket are free. Reverb charges 3.5% (I think), but it has a huge clientele.

Hi Jerry

I'm always looking to but I don't nearly have the same affliction as you do in terms of acquisition :). I prefer our local classifieds where it's a meetup and cash money deal. It's usually the cheapest route.

In comparison to the online deals through reverb, ebay, or direct store there's the shipping charge, taxes, and of course always waiting with bated breathe. The later can sometimes drive a person mental :)

I usually check the UU Marketplace every day. I only check Fleamarket every now and then, (I mostly forget about it), and don't look at Reverb or EBay. I wouldn't know who to trust there.

I'm not looking for anything in particular right now, and don't expect to be buying anything, but you never know. :)

One thing I found about searching on Reverb: If you enter, for example, "Martin uke," you may miss some entries. Entering "ukulele" or the model number will get you more. I experimented a bit, and even if "uke" doesn't appear in the item description, Reverb will sometimes find it. Not sure why. So, if you're looking for something specific, try entering different search terms.

You could try coming up with some worse search terms and maybe there'd be less temptation! :p

At least Reverb is cheaper than eBay. I think that's why Mim moved off eBay.

Yes, the UU marketplace every day, Flea Market maybe a few days in a row, then a few days off. Reverb and eBay, not so much.

I check the UU market place every once in a while. I don't go to any of the others regularly as I'm not really a "shopper." I only go to sites if I'm looking for something in particular, not the other way around. I go to UU market place because I really like other people's UAS, so I read all of the NUD threads. I've been doing that for years. So then I go to UU market place once in a while to see if I recognize any of the ukes for sale, and then sometimes I look back to see how long the seller had it before they decided to get rid of it. Yes, I have lots of time on my hands and I have to entertain myself some way.;)

Pretty close to daily, but mostly just for entertainment value (or so I tell myself)

Sometimes you find great listings such as https://reverb.com/item/22399941-ha...tely-craptastic-don-t-even-watch-this-listing

I'm done with new instruments in the impulse-buy range (really! I think. Maybe?). There are a few I'd like (upgrade UBass, upgrade baritone), but I want to spend slightly more than I want to spend (that made more sense in my head ;) ), I don't know enough to decide what I really want without trying them out (when I tried several tenors in Hawaii the ones I liked were very different from the ones I thought I'd like), and I don't want to spend that much without knowing.

That said, I have gotten lucky a couple of times when something I wanted popped up at a reasonable price, and I may have a couple of used pedals winging their way to my door...

Interesting, with an interesting title: "Harmonia ukulele baritone/tenor absolutely craptastic don't even "watch" this listing." Is that supposed to be reverse psychology? :)

I one time bought a used leather jacket on ebay and when it showed up it reeked of smoke and every remedy I tried to rid it of the smell was to no avail. I could not keep it in the house or the garage it smelled so bad. I put it back on ebay at auction and described it as reeking of smoke and said that it would be a great jacket for any chain smoker who wanted to walk into a restaurant that did not allow smoking and make a statement. It went for twice what I paid for it. So you might be right.

I one time bought a used leather jacket on ebay and when it showed up it reeked of smoke and every remedy I tried to rid it of the smell was to no avail. I could not keep it in the house or the garage it smelled so bad. I put it back on ebay at auction and described it as reeking of smoke and said that it would be a great jacket for any chain smoker who wanted to walk into a restaurant that did not allow smoking and make a statement. It went for twice what I paid for it. So you might be right.

That's a riot.

There was an old car on eBay, and the girl's boyfriend made a very good video to sell it. It emotional, like a real car commercial. It attracted lots of attention, and bidding got up like half a million dollars. Ebay finally deleted the bids, assuming most were not serious, and they started from scratch. The final bid was more reasonable, but I forget the final price.

I use the "new posts" filter to view UU so I see the Marketplace posts every day. Most of them I scroll past without a second thought. It's easy 'cause I don't like tenors ;-)

Otherwise I don't shop much. I see enough advertisements every day already. I do have a few vendors bookmarked so I can visit their sites when I need to motivate myself to work on a client project.

Interesting, with an interesting title: "Harmonia ukulele baritone/tenor absolutely craptastic don't even "watch" this listing." Is that supposed to be reverse psychology? :)

Knowing Ted, (his store is about an hour away from my home), I'm pretty sure that is an accurate description. Plus the price would seem to back it up.

I'm questioning this, if some people just have too much money or if this forum is have an effect on their buying.
Jerryc41, would you buy so much if you did not get any responses in here? If you just lived your live without this forum?

Myself I have just two working ukuleles, they are not some high end ones. I am not considering buying other ukes. So to me this forum does not have negative effect of making me buy stuff.

I don't even look at the Marketplace, 'cause I know anything interesting will be in the wrong country anyway. :p

But honestly, no I don't check it, not even when I am just cruising through the website, like now, not looking for anything in particular, just seeing what all you lot are chatting about. :)

I've got what I was looking for when I had UAS - don't need anything else now. :cool:

I don't even look at the Marketplace, 'cause I know anything interesting will be in the wrong country anyway. :p

But honestly, no I don't check it, not even when I am just cruising through the website, like now, not looking for anything in particular, just seeing what all you lot are chatting about. :)

I've got what I was looking for when I had UAS - don't need anything else now. :cool:

Haha yes, I might have been tempted a few times if I lived in "the lower 48". I've mostly been looking in the "What's New" section these days, so I see the Marketplace whether I like it or not.

I peek in to see the latest temptations now and then but I’m pretty well set for now. My UAS seems to be in remission at least, or maybe it has passed as have the other acquisition syndromes that have held me in their sway over the years. I’ve sold some off recently, and envision parting with at least two more in the near future: the bari and the Bruko.

I look at the Marketplace and Reverb pretty much every day. I'm not really in the market for anything new right now, but that didn't stop me from ordering something over the weekend! I also check on what's new at Elderly Instruments, since they are local and I am always looking for an excuse to go strum their selection.

My UAS has slowed down a lot lately, but hasn't really gotten any cheaper. I buy less often, but buy much nicer instruments. It is just about time to put some of the instruments which are being ignored onto the Marketplace so that they can find suitable homes. I only have so much time in the day, and I keep coming back to the same few instruments...

Top Bottom