Minor breakthrough

EddiePlaysBass

Reaction score
Hi fellow uke-enthousiasts,

Yesterday I managed to play all the way through Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. Probably not the hardest song out there (LOL) but for me this was a minor breakthrough. I can play through easier songs and themes but this one took me a while - the switch between chords and melody etc.

Next up is one or other arrangement of Autumn Leaves, and a Yann Thiersen tune (the Amélie Poulain theme song). It will take a while but I am motivated :) And no, I will not (yet) post audio or video - need to clean up my performances first!

Practise. Practise. Practise. The more you practise, the easier it will become. Great fun to spend more time with your ukulele.

Congratulations.

Keep practicing on new material, that is the best way to perfect your known repertoire, yes its a bit odd for me to state that but think about it. New material and different chord sequences will improve your skill which will reap benefits throughout

Good job! I love it when I look at all the chord changes in a song and I think I’ll never master them... but then I keep on it and get it done. It gives you the confidence you need to try an even more complex song, next time.

Thanks everyone! I do know this stage, it happened years and years ago on bass. Uke is a fairly new instrument for me and I've only been taking it seriously for a short while (see also my thread about enrolling in a uke class).

But it's such a fun instrument (preaching to the choir, I know) and I really have the ambition to become the best uke player I can be. So this was quite a good first step :)

Good deal, Eddie! "Raindrops" is a great and uplifting tune, too. I had the good fortune of playing/singing it just yesterday at an Alzheimer's care facility here in my home town. The folks seemed to get a kick out of it when I explained to them that this song came from the movie "Butch Cassisdy and The Sundance Kid", which I went to see on a "first date" when I was a junior in high school, and spent most of the movie trying to work up the nerve to hold my date's hand... oh, the innocent days!

Well done yourself!

Where did you find the Amelie music? I'd like to try that.

Hi fellow uke-enthousiasts,

Yesterday I managed to play all the way through Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. Probably not the hardest song out there (LOL) but for me this was a minor breakthrough. I can play through easier songs and themes but this one took me a while - the switch between chords and melody etc.

Next up is one or other arrangement of Autumn Leaves, and a Yann Thiersen tune (the Amélie Poulain theme song). It will take a while but I am motivated :) And no, I will not (yet) post audio or video - need to clean up my performances first!

What a good movie it was, too.

Good deal, Eddie! "Raindrops" is a great and uplifting tune, too. I had the good fortune of playing/singing it just yesterday at an Alzheimer's care facility here in my home town. The folks seemed to get a kick out of it when I explained to them that this song came from the movie "Butch Cassisdy and The Sundance Kid", which I went to see on a "first date" when I was a junior in high school, and spent most of the movie trying to work up the nerve to hold my date's hand... oh, the innocent days!

Top Bottom