View Poll Results: What is your stretch distance from index to pinky?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Below 5”

2 9.52%
  • Between 5” to 6”

9 42.86%
  • Between 6” to 7”

7 33.33%
  • Between 7” to 8”

1 4.76%
  • Between 8” to 9”

1 4.76%
  • Between 9” to 10”

1 4.76%
  • Above 10”

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Survey: Your ultimate stretch from index to pinky on fretboard

Default Survey: Your ultimate stretch from index to pinky on fretboard

So I’m curious to find out what is your maximum stretch distance from index finger to the pinky on the fretboard.

Some songs especially those chord melody types really requires superhuman level stretch.

In my case, I have ridiculously short fingers aka Baby T-Rex Hands Syndrome. My stretch is at a stupidly 5.5 inches, barely made it on for a chord shape that need to stretch from 5th to 14th fret on a soprano. I can’t play that song (Music Box by Jake Shimabukuro) beyond soprano scale due to my very limited stretch. But that’s okay for me cos I’m a soprano addict.

If ok, just humour me by sharing your stretch distance to confirm I do have very short stretch. Thanks!

Edit:
    Conversion list
    5” = 12.7cm
    6” = 15.24cm
    7” = 17.78cm
    8” = 20.32cm
    9” = 22.86cm
    10” = 25.4cm
    Last edited by AustinHing; 05-28-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

3 frets...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

maybe four...;-D
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Mine's 5.5 also, and I prefer baritones.
    Do I wish it was more? Yeah, sure, but you know how that works!

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Mine's 5.5 also, and I prefer baritones.
    Do I wish it was more? Yeah, sure, but you know how that works!

bratsche
    Wow, there are more small hands folks than I thought. Or as of now. I did got a baritone guitarlele and tried finger style on it and failed miserably. I’m okay for general strumming though on the bari.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Enya EUT-M6E

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    maybe four...;-D

I Guess you are talking about the lower frets (1 to 4) on a tenor scale?

5.5” sounds great to me. My stretch is only 4”. Little kids have bigger hands than me. Gotta love being short!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinHing View Post
    Wow, there are more small hands folks than I thought. Or as of now. I did got a baritone guitarlele and tried finger style on it and failed miserably. I’m okay for general strumming though on the bari.
    The music I most like to play (hint: see my avatar) is full of chords that are too big for my hand to reach, so I roll them - shifting my hand quickly to reach the top notes from a higher position ("shift happens", as they say!) Or if that is not possible, I "cheat" and re-voice the chord to a more accessible fingering. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

7” comfortably here, ~7-3/4” if I reeeeeeally stretch, but I don’t think I could practically use that extra distance.

I feel right at home on larger scale, smaller body configurations and do enjoy the extra reach I am blessed with. That said, I don’t practice many pieces that require much beyond 4-5 fret stretches despite arranging some pretty brutal jumps in my spare time...
    Current UAS fallout:

Ohana SK-21A — ‘10s L. Nunes Ukulele 0 Hawaii Soprano — 1918-19 Martin 2M Soprano — ‘60s Kamaka ‘Keiki’ Soprano — ‘70s Kamaka White Label Soprano — Blue Frog Soprano — aNueNue Moon Bird US200 — Ohana SK-30L — Cocobolo Concert #382 (teak!) — Outdoor Ukulele Carbon Tenor — ‘50s Harmony Baritone

Mead Ambassador/Horticulturist at Heidrun Meadery since 2017

Teaching Music Together since 2019

"Wow, there are more small hands folks than I thought."

Possibly not typical of the general population. Could be that people with small hands are more likely to consider the uke. Wilfried Welti has very large hands. I remember him writing that he could stretch from the first to the twelfth fret! He assumed that was why ukes (sops) are made that size. I can manage first to fifth, on a soprano.

I believe Rachmaninov had enormous flippers, but he was not renowned for his ukulele skills.

John Colter.
    Last edited by ukantor; 05-29-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Thread Information