Just finished my first uke

mineymole

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just finished my first non-kit ukulele.

It’s a tenor made with Birdseye maple back, Adirondack spruce top, maple neck, ebony fretboard, spalted maple details, walnut binding. It has a radius fretboard and back.

What a journey! I had completed it, then had to take the whole thing apart with a heat gun and palette knife because the neck was wrong. I had to redo the finish.... every step of the way was a learning process.

I basically followed Heidi Litke’s class on O’Brien Guitars, along with reading just about every post ever written on this forum. This place is pure gold!

So many mistakes, but I’ve now started two more.

Here are photos if you’re interested:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g74DQDgzfrFQqkRH6

Last edited:
Congratulations! That's a beauty. I love all the wood selection. Well done.

Congratulations. I love that sort of cool, modernistic look.

I feel your pain. On this second build - I've switched out laminated solid linings for kerfed ones, taken the top off and re-glued, carved the binding off (scraped it too thin twice), removed the fretboard and steamed the dovetail neck off (bridge would've been too thin), and sanded off a water based pore filler that turned the koa a blotchy green. I hope that I don’t have any more troubles but I'm not counting on it.

Like you said - it's an education.

Last edited:
Mineymole,
Most of us have danced the 'Luthier's Two Step' at some time. (One step forward, two steps back).
It is frustrating, but never the less a great learning experience in doing things the hard way... it looks like you were more than up to the challenge....you should feel justly proud of producing such a pretty little uke.
Congratulations, and good luck with scratch builds #2 and #3.

Congrats! Looks like a great first uke. Now you have to design a headstock logo.

With all the absolutely perfect ukes made with computers shown on the forum lately, it is refreshing to see an ukulele with some blemishes! Here is to "the hand of the maker"! Very nice honest effort. You should be proud.

Beautiful! Heck I was excited just getting a banjo uke mutant to play for me.
You should be proud of yourself!

That looks great. Congratulations!! How does it sound?

I like it.
Nice work!
Are you playing it?

It looks great

Top Bottom