Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your absolute "Deal-Breaker"?

Default What's your absolute "Deal-Breaker"?

Okay, I'll start a topic.

We all like to talk about what things we love the most about our instruments. But being the diverse group that all humanity falls into, we also know that what one person loves, another may hate just as passionately.

Without getting personal (please, let's not bash any brands or makers here), and assuming the hypothetical instrument is your preferred size, already sounds as great as you'd hoped, and price is no object (don't hate something because you can't afford it!), what specific "feature" on a ukulele would make you wrinkle your nose and say "No, thanks!" more than anything else?

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Built in electronics which, if/when they fail, would not be able to be replaced to have all the features they had to begin with, (not using mass market easily replaceable electronic parts)

Very slim neck profile. It's not that I hate it, more that it hates me. After hand surgery a few years back I can't play thin necks without pain. Had to move on a Takumi soprano because I couldn't play it without it hurting. That was the best sounding (and looking!) instrument I've ever owned. So now it's medium to thick necks for me only, which counts out some really lovely ukes.

Hi
    Assuming it's an instrument in a scale I want, I prefer to have both Fretboard markers and side markers. I'm okay if theses are combined. And I will purchase but do prefer a radiussed fretboards. Also I don't think I'd buy a uke with a nut over 1-1/2". I would get 1-1/2 but Not over and I prefer 1-3/8".
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors

4 Sale: Pineapple - MP Cali, Tenor: Washburn, Luna Tattoo

Radius Fretboard at least 12 in or rounder!
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    Radius Fretboard at least 12 in or rounder!
    Are you saying you only want radiuses lower than 12 or that you don't want a radius fretboard?

Too much bling. I like a fairly simple looking instrument, so just about anything could trigger me to say no thanks. That and weight. If it feels heavy, I lose interest fast.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Too much bling. I like a fairly simple looking instrument, so just about anything could trigger me to say no thanks. That and weight. If it feels heavy, I lose interest fast.
    I agree with Glenn 100%. Don’t like a lot of excess inlay and bling work. Less is more and that goes for weight as well.
    Cheers from another Glenn

+1 on the excess inlay and bling. I do appreciate the skill involved in doing the inlay, but that would probably stop me from buying a ukulele, especially depending on what the inlay was. But, if someone wanted to give me a Moore Bettah concert ukulele, and it had naked ladies as inlay all over it, I'd figure out a way to deal with it. LOL.

- friction tuners
    - tuners that stick straight out of the back of the head rather than the sides of the head
    - pin bridge
    - knotted bridge
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

Thread Information