Arm sleeve

Kibes37

Reaction score
I know this is not a new subject. I’ve read past threads. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good padded arm sleeve in 2019? My Kanile’a is now digging into my arm when finger picking. I have a strap, I have tried different positions, I barely put pressure. Over an hr of playing becomes very uncomfortable. Strumming is no problem at all. I use a cut sock covered with a microfiber strip. Feels super lame to have to use.

Also do not want to put a rest on my uke either.

Appreciate any recs!

With ukes I found that any body and arm contact greatly reduces the vibration and sound of the uke so I prefer to just rest it on my left leg away from the body, and support it with my fingering left hand. So the right arm floats freely for playing and makes little contact with the uke at all. But I also play guitar including a big jumbo guitar and I don't find that body and arm contact has much of an impact on the bigger instruments. But my good guitars have a nitro finish that reacts with sweat, so in the summer when I wear short sleeved shirts, I have a knitted arm cover that I use for the nitro finished guitars. I am lucky that I have a girlfriend who knits a lot of stuff and is willing to do custom things like that for me (she also did covers for a guitar stand). So if you have any knitting friends they are often happy to get requests for things like that and you can reward them with a nice song in turn.

Oasis
I use them on all my classical guitars and ukes.
Ron

I'd be tempted to get some of these.

bratsche

With ukes I found that any body and arm contact greatly reduces the vibration and sound of the uke so I prefer to just rest it on my left leg away from the body, and support it with my fingering left hand. So the right arm floats freely for playing and makes little contact with the uke at all. But I also play guitar including a big jumbo guitar and I don't find that body and arm contact has much of an impact on the bigger instruments. But my good guitars have a nitro finish that reacts with sweat, so in the summer when I wear short sleeved shirts, I have a knitted arm cover that I use for the nitro finished guitars. I am lucky that I have a girlfriend who knits a lot of stuff and is willing to do custom things like that for me (she also did covers for a guitar stand). So if you have any knitting friends they are often happy to get requests for things like that and you can reward them with a nice song in turn.
I have a similar problem to kibes37. Merlin666, I'd be interested in seeing pictures or even a video demonstrating your technique.
Thanks

It didn’t kick in till I started getting better at picking. Which is my main focus. I love my Kanile’a, but the Opio is way thinner and more comfortable. I can go way longer without a make shift sock sleeve. I prefer the overall size of the Kanile’a, but I’m wondering if I want to have to wear a sleeve. I’m gonna give it a lot more time. I’m sure more experience will help.

I ordered an oasis sleeve too.

Thanks again for suggestions

Ha-ha, those are hilarious! But I think I’ll just knit a slightly more conservative model for myself :D

They have them in plain colors as well. But a knitted one might better fit your image. If so, I would certainly go with the knitted one. I don't use one either way, so I'm just trying to help. I saw those and thought that they looked fun.

Hawaiian style half sleeve, no sleeve, tank top or even top less are better than long sleeve or arm sleeve. Because they hold ukulele better with less pressure.

You might also be able to reduce pressure by using a piece of non-slip lining between the uke and your body. I've done this before, and it worked pretty well.

Oh, darn. I looked at it, and now that's going to follow me all over the internet, isn't it, like ads often do.
Well, it will be a change of pace from my usual ukuleles and cases that follow me around the internet.

A long time ago I looked into getting a padded sleeve because of Summer perspiration and sharp ukulele edges. Instead. I went with an arm rest. This was a piece together. I got the bracket from Cumberland Acoustic and had the koa arm rest made and attached. There are others out there that just stick on. It does add a bit of sustain since my arm is not damping the soundboard. I just didn't want to go the padded sleeve route.

ASD Light Ukulele 2.jpg

John

Top Bottom