Leon Redbone has passed away at 69

mikelz777

Reaction score
Leon Redbone has passed away at 69. He had stopped performing years ago due to health issues. He was a very private person so I don't think there's any information out there about what his health issues might have been. I really enjoy his work and own several of his CDs. He's a great source for tin pan alley/vaudeville type songs if you are in to that. He inspired me to work up several songs sheets of songs he recorded. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
I can see a Leon Redbone season coming. His whole catalog of music works great with ukulele.

Without my walking stick I'd go insane ...

it's a sad day man.
appreciate this post brother.
love his music so much and always will.

"All the songs I really need to know I learned from Leon Redbone." This is a packet of 13 songs I arranged for our local uke club.

I get the heebie-jeebies about sharing songs under copyright, but it seems the sharing of club songbooks is ok on this forum. If not, please let me know. In the meantime, you can download the pdf here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/16wbxtpyrfc8b6y/Redbone packet 1st acme edition.pdf?dl=0

I have a sequel in the works. A certain friend of mine has a terrific uke arrangement of "My Walking Stick" but I'll have to tie him to a tree or something to get him to write it down. Whatever it takes.

Leon was a timeless wonder. I was lucky enough to see him a few times at his peak. He always entertained, and he was an underappreciated guitar player. Our jam hosted an open mic last night, and the first performer played "Mississippi Delta Blues" in Leon's honor. What a character.

And yes, this is a great idea for a Season.

Thank you Acmespaceship!

John Prine performed in Minneapolis last Friday and I was reading the concert review in the paper where he told a story about Leon Redbone from back in the day when they toured together. After one of their concerts he wanted to see if he could catch the eccentric Redbone out of character so he knocked on the young vaudevillian's hotel door at 3 a.m. Redbone answered immediately wearing his familiar sunglasses, Panama hat, white shirt and boxer shorts along with socks with garters. Prine was invited in and was asked what he'd like to drink. "Cognac", he replied. Without missing a beat, Redbone pulled out a bottle of VSOP and two snifters. :D

Top Bottom