Are Kiwaya Ukes a good value for the money?

CYN

Reaction score
I am sure there are folks out there that have Kiwaya ukes or played them. Since I never have I wondered if you feel they are a good value for the money in their build and sound?

I have a ks-5. The thin laminate koa one that is part of the eco series. I feel that it is a fantastic value. Great sounding and great feeling instrument. I've heard nothing but good things about the ks-1 (laminate mahogany soprano) and the kts-4 (solid mahogany) as well. Kiwaya seem to be some if the best bang for buck out there.

They are great instruments. I think they are a great value when you look at the great quality, playability. intonation and sound.

I would say they are the best value in the ukulele world. Their build quality is second to none, even on the laminates. I've owned 2 of the mahogany sopranos and compared to my Martin they have a very similar build quality, not as much bark but sound great non the less.

I would say that used ukes are the best value for the money (if you can stomach potential blemishes and delayed gratification).

I own 5 Kiwaya ukuleles. My opinion is that they are superb in nearly every respect. They do “understated elegance” very well. For whatever reason, you can pick them up used for less money, in many cases, than I would expect, given their quality. Not sure why this is... maybe the name doesn’t have the respect it deserves.

I have a Kiwaya solid mahogany concert. It’s a really nice ukulele. The build quality and tone are great. I think it would stack up with about anyone.

However, for some reason they don’t seem to do well on the secondary market. I don’t know why. I think they are just not well known and have limited dealers. If you are planning on keeping it, they can’t be beat.

ON the "limited" dealer thing...……. I wonder why HMS, MIM, Elderly or Uke Republic don't handle the Kiwaya. Only place I know of Dusty Strings in Seattle where I tried one solid Mahogany Tenor. It was "understated elegance" for sure. Build looked great and sound was good.

I think you might see more of these in all sizes selling if one or two of the dealers mention sold them. I get why Famous ( local brand name by Kiwaya) aren't sold outside of Japan unless you go with the import thing.

Great ukes and good values even though they may seem pricey.

The N.C. Ukulele Academy once carried Kiwayas but stopped. The owner Kent loves them but he told me Kiwaya isn't that well-known among typical uke buyers and so he couldn't afford to let them sit on the shelves. This may be the situation for other dealers.

IIRC, Uke Republic occasionally has Kiwayas in stock. And you can get the Famous series on Amazon, which isn't a problem because build and setup quality from the factory is awfully good. And they play so well ...

ON the "limited" dealer thing...……. I wonder why HMS, MIM, Elderly or Uke Republic don't handle the Kiwaya.

I have seen Kiwayas at all of those places except Mim's.

In my opinion, they are very good values.

SNIPPED:

ON the "limited" dealer thing...……. I wonder why HMS, MIM, Elderly or Uke Republic don't handle the Kiwaya.

HMS does sell them from time-to-time, though admittedly they have less lately than they used to. They have a KTS-4 now:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kiwaya-kts-4-solid-mahogany-soprano-vintage-martin-replica.html

Elderly also sells them and they have 10 in stock:

https://www.elderly.com/collections/category_ukuleles?_=pf&pf_v_brand=Kiwaya

Thanks to this thread I now desire a KTS-7. Thanks a lot ;)

ON the "limited" dealer thing...……. I wonder why HMS, MIM, Elderly or Uke Republic don't handle the Kiwaya. Only place I know of Dusty Strings in Seattle where I tried one solid Mahogany Tenor. It was "understated elegance" for sure. Build looked great and sound was good.

I think you might see more of these in all sizes selling if one or two of the dealers mention sold them. I get why Famous ( local brand name by Kiwaya) aren't sold outside of Japan unless you go with the import thing.

HMS has sold them in the recent past, and I am sure they will again. But they don't seem to have many to sell outside the Japanese market, which they prioritize. Aside from their new made in China series, they are made in Japan, where wages are much higher than China, Vietnam, etc. They are incredibly light and responsive.

Top Bottom