The Uke works in mysterious ways!

Ukecaster

Reaction score
A funny story, I think. My oldest sister is 67, has had many health issues, brain cancer, breast cancer etc., with multiple brain surgeries to remove cancer, which left her never the same, forcing her into a nursing home at only 67 years old, since she couldn't care for herself, very sad for me and my siblings.

This past Christmas, my sibs asked me to play some songs on my uke and sing, at the family gathering, which I did. It was probably during some obnoxious, loud Tin Pan Alley ditty, when all of a sudden, she loudly yelled "Enough!" Of course, my sibs all thought it hilarious, which it was, and it became the family joke.

Anyway, 2 days ago, my sister has a series of seizures, and was unconscious for 2 days, not taking any food or water, and with a No Extraordinary Measures Health Care proxy thing in effect, the end looked near, as we all thought she had possibly lost oxygen during the seizure, and maybe suffered brain damage, with 2 of my other sisters being nurses. They were planning her funeral.

So today, I went to the facility where she was, expecting the worst, to see her one last time. She had still been unconscious at 1pm. I arrived at 3pm. I brought my uke, partly as a joke, to sing her one last song, and if that didn't wake her up, that was it. Well, when I entered her room, she was sitting up in bed, with her glasses on, watching TV! I was totally shocked! My nurse sisters were amazed! She seems ok, but still groggy from her meds. Talk about 9 lives! So now the family joke is that she sensed I was coming, and woke up to avoid my uke playing and singing! I can live with that, and am just glad that she is still among the living.

The power of the uke works in mysterious ways!

Thank you so much for sharing that, it must have been a very trying time for family. Your sister being awake and alert when you walked in the room had me thinking about a punch line " she saw you coming" but of course you beat me to it. So glad everything has worked out and so glad the ukuele is giving everyone a good laugh. After all it is always revered to as a happy instrument

Thanks Dave. She heard me coming...and didn't want to hear my uke! I don't blame her!

Last edited:
Top Bottom