Rules and Problems

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I keep a list of Ukuleles I would really like to have. Although the list does not include a Moore Bettah, DeVine or LFDM which are definitely Ukuleles I would very much want. The list includes those ukuleles I own, those which I want to sell and those which I'm hoping to purchase in the next two years.

I have a rule which is not to buy something just because it's a good price. But I have a problem which is watching Ukuleles on eBay or Reverb which I'd like to have but are not on the list and are not included in the above named ukuleles. You know the nice to have uke at a good price. The one that's so pretty, so interesting, so ...

So I'm watching a ukulele which is nice and am considering putting in a bid near the end of the auction. And if it comes in under $200 it's a go.

But I need to remember:
I don't need to have a ukulele in every wood variation.
I don't need to have a ukulele from every builder. And just because it's a nice to have doesn't mean I have to have it.

Ouch this is why I need to work way more hours. Hum. UAS we have a problem :)

I’ve got to admit I have very similar rules and problems to yours.
Buying 14 Uke’s in under 12 months proves this to be the case.
The “problem” is in the watching isn’t it ? I’m forever searching EBay and other sites including the marketplace here on UU for suitable additions to my collection, even though I don’t need any more Uke’s it doesn’t stop me wanting more Uke’s !
So , the answer to our mutual problem is simple - Just Stop Watching. The trouble is I can’t bring myself to do that as I get so much enjoyment out of doing it.
UAS has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:
No problems and very few rules here. If it feels good and you have room on your card (and in your house) go for it and enjoy. Musical instruments are a great deal compared to other common hobbies such as drugs, gambling, mistresses, sailboats, motorcycles, etc.

No problems and very few rules here. If it feels good and you have room on your card (and in your house) go for it and enjoy. Musical instruments are a great deal compared to other common hobbies such as drugs, gambling, mistresses, sailboats, motorcycles, etc.

So true, Peter! Reminds me of the guy who, in his frail old age, quipped, "I spent about eighty percent of my money on booze and loose women; the rest I just threw away..."

Your willpower is greater than mine. I hit “Bid” with the minimum with 30 minutes to go on a ukulele today, fully expecting to see it soar in price as the deadline closed.

Now I own another vintage Kamaka soprano...but for $160 shipped and only one repaired crack/replaced tuners? I still, despite my guilt, feel like I “won” a steal. It doesn’t help me not want to do that again!

I’ve got to admit I have very similar rules and problems to yours.
Buying 14 Uke’s in under 12 months proves this to be the case.
The “problem” is in the watching isn’t it ? I’m forever searching EBay and other sites including the marketplace here on UU for suitable additions to my collection, even though I don’t need any more Uke’s it doesn’t stop me wanting more Uke’s !
So , the answer to our mutual problem is simple - Just Stop Watching. The trouble is I can’t bring myself to do that as I get so much enjoyment out of doing it.
UAS has a lot to answer for.

Your reply helped. I looked at the bidding a couple of minutes before the end and didn't submit a bid. And happily the bidding ended above what would have been my maximum.

I added up the monies I've spent on nice to have uke and I could have had something much better and closer to one of the dream ukuleles. I've added to my list of Luthiers builds I would love to have as part of my ukulele family. I plan to only search or bid on those. Happy Strumming All.

After about a dozen or so ukes in the two years I’ve been playing, I’ve settled on 4 as my happy place. More than 4 and I feel like I’m not getting the most out of each one. I try to adhere to the “one in, one out” rule to keep the number at 4. Now that I’ve explored various sizes & brands, I feel like I’m more refined in what I want.

Last edited:
I don't need a list of ukes I want. They just seem to appear in the "Must Have" section of my mind. I like different sizes and different looks. UU has forced me to buy many ukes. Also, Baz, Vince, and online sellers. I bought 45 last year, but only 14 so far this year. I think I have all I need now. Of course, I've also sold quite a few, but I still have to store, play, and maintain 59. No booze or women for me. I can't afford either now. :D

I get wistful occasionally about an instrument I’d like to have but I remember that money would be better spent on lessons and time better spent on playing. I’m always surprised by relatively new players with huge numbers of ukes. I can see a period of time where you are trying to find out what suits you, but beyond that I’d wanna settle in and get better aquatinted with what I have. Once in a while, I might swap out something but I don’t have a revolving door here or an ukulele storage unit.

I don't need a list of ukes I want. They just seem to appear in the "Must Have" section of my mind. I like different sizes and different looks. UU has forced me to buy many ukes. Also, Baz, Vince, and online sellers. I bought 45 last year, but only 14 so far this year. I think I have all I need now. Of course, I've also sold quite a few, but I still have to store, play, and maintain 59. No booze or women for me. I can't afford either now. :D

Wasn't it 54 a few weeks ago when you posted that you were going to thin the herd? :D

Last edited:
Your willpower is greater than mine. I hit “Bid” with the minimum with 30 minutes to go on a ukulele today, fully expecting to see it soar in price as the deadline closed.

Now I own another vintage Kamaka soprano...but for $160 shipped and only one repaired crack/replaced tuners? I still, despite my guilt, feel like I “won” a steal. It doesn’t help me not want to do that again!

What a deal!!! I need you to become my sensei and teach me your dealfinding ways!

What a deal!!! I need you to become my sensei and teach me your dealfinding ways!

Slog through dozens of “vintage Kamaka” search results on eBay and Reverb long after all other people in your home have gone to sleep. :p

Slog through dozens of “vintage Kamaka” search results on eBay and Reverb long after all other people in your home have gone to sleep. :p

I’ve done that in the past and ended up with my fantastic beater gold label. Now I’m trying for a repeat gold label for my sister and potentially a vintage Martin for myself (I’m bummed Martin doesn’t make pineapples)

Last edited:
I’ve done that in the past and ended up with my fantastic beater gold label. Now I’m trying for a repeat gold label for my sister and potentially a vintage Martin for myself (I’m bummed Martin doesn’t make pineapples)

Ditto. Interestingly, all the Martin listings I see go for way more money than anything else. Even with major structural damage, it’s hard to find one for under $200, which is where my limit for vintage is right now. I figure I’d spend a decent bit of coin getting the ones with major problems back to playable and factor that calculation into what I’m willing to pay in the auction.

Unrelated, but I think I’d much rather spend $10k on a nice old Martin, maybe a concert M2, than on the most recent MB auction...but to each their own!

As was mentioned, I try to have a one in - one out, rule so if I want something new, what am I going to get rid of. But even before then, I tried to get down to a reasonable number. I don't think I got beyond 7 at once, but even that left some out of rotation for me. If I have ukes which aren't getting out of the case, maybe someone else would enjoy them more, otherwise, if I buy another one, then there might be another one that sits in the case.

Depends on your reason for collecting them and if you have different uses for them. Or, be like Jerry and enjoy the ride!

I continue trying to abide by the one in/one out rule, but it's not working. I got two as gifts (one a joke, one frivolous though serious -- and it plays great!) and two others I'd lusted after for years were available for way less than I imagined. Four in, one out :rulez:

So now I'm trying to stick by the rule, because I can't think of any I'd part with. For now ...

Top Bottom