Snake Box

Django57

Reaction score
Hi wonder if you tech guys could look at this . We have a big charity concert coming up with at least 18 Mic's and equal number of ukes with pickups , now to cut down on cables running around the stage with potential for tripping i found one of these i thought we could buy 4 , but i noticed that the ends that go to the mixing desk are stereo and the cables we use are mono , my question is will it work ? if not what would be the solution .
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_mstudio_multicorekabel.htm

Regards Dave

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea from that its stereo. All single inputs and outputs are mono by default. Whether something is stereo or not is about the choices you make later giving an instrument 2 inputs and panning the sound left and right to the left and right speaker.

What you have linked to is a rather small multicore stage box. Is there a reason why you are considering four small multicores rather than one large one?
Having only 4 xlr + 4 6.35mm jacks is a little cheap. 8 combination jacks is much more versatile.

OK, I had another look. The 6.35mm jacks are TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) rather than just TS (tip, sleeve). This doesn't make them stereo. It makes them balanced, just like the 3 pin XLR connectors. You can just plug a regular TS lead into them and they will work just fine.

I'd still be looking at upgrading to the more versatile combination connectors that will handle either. (actually see below. This is redundant)

EDIT, OK, the other issue is that you don't often see just the 6.35mm leads running to the mixer because its standard practice to use DI (Direct Input) Boxes on the stage to pug instruments into. Running just a long instrument lead to the desk will sound poor, lose volume and suffer from impedance mismatches (poor sound).

If your going to have 18 instruments at once then you will need 18 DI box imputs. The outputs from the DI boxes will be XLR so you just really need XLR inputs for the stage box/snake.

Last edited:
Thanks anthonyg i'll show the rest of the team your answer they're more technical than me. The reason i went for the small one is that for some gigs there maybe only 10 or 12 players so we could taylor the boxes to suit how many turn up .
From reading your reply these may not be the answer not to worry it was just a thought and a google .
Kind regards Dave

Top Bottom