Favorite Soundboard / Tonewoods

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Seeing the thread about beautiful Tonewoods for mango gave me the idea to ask what's your favorite top/back and sides.

My favorite tops are either Sinker Redwood OR Koa
As for back and sides, I'm open to anything that looks beautiful and they all look great :). That being said when it comes to picking the actual wood for a build I'm fussy.

I really like the sound of sinker cedar for the top, also spruce but probably cedar more. Also mango and koa sound for all same solid wood ukes.

Last edited:
Spruce top, Koa back and sides. Or all mango.

Spruce top is number 1 for me followed by redwood and cedar. For the back it's rosewood, then walnut and myrtle.

At first, I didn't like spruce, but I've come around. Still, I don't go searching for light colors. I like a wood that looks nice. Koa, and other woods, come in different grades. I prefer a fancy grade, although the price is often out of reach.

Acacia, mahogany, cedar, & then maybe spruce.

I have an all solid acacia, several all solid mahogany, one cedar top, & one solid spruce, in my collection.

Although I do have a HPL uke, it's koa and hog for me. Just a traditional guy I guess.

I'm going to go a different route and answer this based on pure looks.

For all solid I'll go with this. I don't think any commentary is necessary.
moore-bettah-1516-.-6.jpg

Favorite non-all solid soundboard/tonewood combo, I'll take this. Adirondack Spruce with, I believe, African Ebony. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The crisp, clean contrast is just gorgeous in my eyes.
DSC_7453.jpg

Given that one's a Moore Bettah, and the other's a Hive, I don't think sound would be a problem. :D

Caveat: I have not played a wide range of tonewoods. That being said:

It depends. It depends on the tune and the arrangement. There are tunes that scream out for a bright sound, others absolutely require a mellower sound. Yes, the size of the uke plays into this, but not entirely.

A local luthier, Brian Griffin, occasionally brings a set of shakers to our monthly sessions. Each one made from a different tonewood, and sound differences are dramatic. Now I am in a quandary - I have no idea what tonewood I’ll want when I’m in a place to upgrade my tenor (Kala KA-TE).

Most of my ukuleles are mahogany. I do have one maple flame but do not play it often as it is a larger size.

All-time favorite is Rosewood b&s with Spruce top.*

*Subject to change without notice.

It is interesting how some people base their preference on looks and others, myself included base it on sound.

On looks alone my Kimo tenor with curly koa puts me in a trance. The flamed maple back and sides are pretty nice as well

2016-12-08-001-1024x633.jpg2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpg2016-12-08-005-1024x577.jpg

Plain old Honduran mahogany. I like its all purpose tone, where it’s not too bright nor too mellow. Also I just felt my skill level is not worthy of the extremely curly or flamed woods.

I'm fickle. One day my favorite will be one ukulele, and another one doesn't hit that sweet spot for me that day. Another day, the previously less favored one is the greatest one ever.

Current favorite: maple with spruce top.

Then again, last night I played each one for a while, and they were all my favorite. They each have their own special voice.

To look at, definitely flame maple or koa.
To hear, cocobolo. Man, that wood sings! I think it's highly underrated...

It is interesting how some people base their preference on looks and others, myself included base it on sound.

And some of us base it on both ;-)

Mahogany on a soprano and cedar on a bari. Although my acacia soprano is so different it's pretty cool too.

Mango's been intriguing me lately, but I'm staying away from that one. Don't need to go down another rabbit hole.

I had asked this question last spring. Earlier today I had a conversation about soundboards with a Luthiers that my taste has changed. At one time I wasn't a fan of spruce or maple and now enjoy both. However I don't think I have a favorite anymore. I'm definitely open to whatever sounds good to me.

I'm still interested in hearing others opinions and backup videos would add to the conversation.
For spruce tops:
https://youtu.be/bOobaqlKNUQ (Tenor) and
https://vimeo.com/163129227 (Soprano)
Redwood
https://vimeo.com/340778252 (Tenor)
https://vimeo.com/282032273 (Tenor Harp)
And Koa:
https://vimeo.com/315035534 (Tenor Pineapple)

... At one time I wasn't a fan of spruce or maple and now enjoy both. However I don't think I have a favorite anymore. I'm definitely open to whatever sounds good to me.

Were you not a fan because of how spruce sounds? or looks...

Were you not a fan because of how spruce sounds? or looks...

Earlier on this thread DownupDave mentioned how some chose based on looks, others on sound. I'm of the later group and chose based on sound. Looks would be a bonus for the top board. Although the back and sides looks enters the picture.

I used to feel that Spruce and Maple were too bright. I had preferred the deeper, mellow sounds. I didn't fully appreciate sound demos playing up the neck. I only wanted to hear the deepest tones possible from a uke. Thankfully my tastes have grown. And I really appreciate when an instrument can play up the neck and continue to demonstrate sustain, intonation, etc..

Top Bottom