Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Soundboard / Tonewoods

All-time favorite is Rosewood b&s with Spruce top.*

*Subject to change without notice.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

It is interesting how some people base their preference on looks and others, myself included base it on sound.

On looks alone my Kimo tenor with curly koa puts me in a trance. The flamed maple back and sides are pretty nice as well

2016-12-08-001-1024x633.jpg2016-12-08-003-1024x577.jpg2016-12-08-005-1024x577.jpg
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Plain old Honduran mahogany. I like its all purpose tone, where it’s not too bright nor too mellow. Also I just felt my skill level is not worthy of the extremely curly or flamed woods.
    Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

I'm fickle. One day my favorite will be one ukulele, and another one doesn't hit that sweet spot for me that day. Another day, the previously less favored one is the greatest one ever.

Current favorite: maple with spruce top.

Then again, last night I played each one for a while, and they were all my favorite. They each have their own special voice.

To look at, definitely flame maple or koa.
    To hear, cocobolo. Man, that wood sings! I think it's highly underrated...
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    It is interesting how some people base their preference on looks and others, myself included base it on sound.
    And some of us base it on both ;-)
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Mahogany on a soprano and cedar on a bari. Although my acacia soprano is so different it's pretty cool too.

Mango's been intriguing me lately, but I'm staying away from that one. Don't need to go down another rabbit hole.
    Glenn

I had asked this question last spring. Earlier today I had a conversation about soundboards with a Luthiers that my taste has changed. At one time I wasn't a fan of spruce or maple and now enjoy both. However I don't think I have a favorite anymore. I'm definitely open to whatever sounds good to me.

I'm still interested in hearing others opinions and backup videos would add to the conversation.
    For spruce tops:
    https://youtu.be/bOobaqlKNUQ (Tenor) and
    https://vimeo.com/163129227 (Soprano)
    Redwood
    https://vimeo.com/340778252 (Tenor)
    https://vimeo.com/282032273 (Tenor Harp)
    And Koa:
    https://vimeo.com/315035534 (Tenor Pineapple)
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by keenonuke View Post
    ... At one time I wasn't a fan of spruce or maple and now enjoy both. However I don't think I have a favorite anymore. I'm definitely open to whatever sounds good to me.
    Were you not a fan because of how spruce sounds? or looks...
    keeping an eye out for a very special pre-owned concert....

Quote Originally Posted by Wukulele View Post
    Were you not a fan because of how spruce sounds? or looks...
    Earlier on this thread DownupDave mentioned how some chose based on looks, others on sound. I'm of the later group and chose based on sound. Looks would be a bonus for the top board. Although the back and sides looks enters the picture.

I used to feel that Spruce and Maple were too bright. I had preferred the deeper, mellow sounds. I didn't fully appreciate sound demos playing up the neck. I only wanted to hear the deepest tones possible from a uke. Thankfully my tastes have grown. And I really appreciate when an instrument can play up the neck and continue to demonstrate sustain, intonation, etc..
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

Thread Information