"Cort" soprano - I like it!

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
UAS has struck again. I thought I was immune, and I really don't need another soprano -- but you know how it is. The main attraction that led to my pressing the button on yet another uke, was that it is made from "Blackwood" acacia, and it looks like a no-nonsense, traditional design. Inevitably, that means Martin style.

It cost me £199 from SUS in southern England, whose service was, as always, impeccable.

There isn't much I want to say, just that I like it very much. It is cleanly and accurately built, the finish is thinly applied, giving a satiny, open pored effect which suggests what it is - solid wood. The neck shape is very slightly on the "sturdy" side, which suits my preference. The overall appearance is similar to a Martin style 1, but with seventeen frets.

My only reservation is that the tuners are cheapo units, but that's no big deal. They work well, so I am in no hurry to replace them.

It came to me perfectly set up. I might give the nut slots a gently filing, but it really isn't necessary. I just like to feel as though I have personalised my ukes.

It has plenty of volume, bags of sustain, and good balance across the strings. There are no "soft" or dull notes. Overall, it is a very sweet sounding, responsive instrument and has an indefinable sense of character, or personality.

I can thoroughly recommend the Cort. IMHO it represents excellent value for money. Mine will get plenty of use, I'm sure.Cort, Blackwood (Acacia) soprano.jpg
John Colter.

Last edited:
it looks very lovely, John.
appreciate the review and the heads up -
i'd not heard of these before.
yes, the first thing I did was click on the image and everything about it
reminds me too of the traditional Martin ukuleles.
at this price point, and given it's voice and build aesthetic is as you've described
it seems like a wonderful buy.
thanks mate.

Those Cort ukes are stunning!

The resemblance to Martins is so big that some people have pointed out to me that apparently they come with the same make of gigbag.

I have the concert myself.
Very varm and resonant sound, but a little low on volume and punch. I prefer to play mine more for picking and slower strumming styles for that reason.
But perhaps the soprano has that extra bark.

Congrats, it sure looks a lot like a Martin, and for a lot less money.
What kind of pegs would you put in it?
That is the 1st Cort ukulele I've ever seen. There are some wonderful copies of Martin ukuleles out now. I think Martin must be blushing a little, it's quite a compliment to be copied so much.

I saw one of these on Reverb, and it looked pretty interesting.
If it didn't have the extended fretboard I probably would have gotten one to try out.

Hi ukantor, I'm looking at getting one of these, can you tell me what the nut width is? I've been getting by with a couple of Kala laminates which are adequate, but I'd like to upgrade to all-solid and the Corts look great value.

Yes, I took a look at one of those. Liked it very much.

Hi ewe2,

The nut width is not quite 36mm; the distance from 'G' string to 'A' string (measured by eye from centre to centre) is 30mm. I also measured my Ken Timms style 0 - 37mm/30.5mm.

I'm not really aware of any significant difference in 'feel' when I swap from one to the other. I do have very small hands for a bloke.

The Timms definitely has the edge on sound, but not by a lot. It just has a little more authority and presence.

I did change the tuners. The originals were all plastic, apart from the spindle and the screw. It now wears pegs sourced from China (still friction type) that look identical to the ones on the Timms. You have to be careful if having to drill for bigger diameter pegs. The finish on the top surface of the head stock is unusually thick and can chip in unsightly fashion.

Yep - I still like my Cort.

John Colter

Thanks ukanator, that's interesting. It doesn't seem very different to the Kalas then, I was under the impression the Kalas were somewhat tapered by comparison to many ukes. Also useful to hear about the friction pegs, that might be something to look at, although I've no idea about sizes etc. I'll go read bazmaz's article on changing them :D

Thanks ukanator, that's interesting. It doesn't seem very different to the Kalas then....

The Cort's 30mm string spread at the nut is pretty generous. The Kala sops I've had were smaller, at 28 - 28.5mm. Not an issue for many, but I prefer wider string spacing. Just something to consider, as wider string spacing at the nut can really improve playability, especially on the smaller soprano size.

Is it possible to see pics of the friction tuners and what you replaced them with. I once owned a solid spruce top, laminate mahogany , small body guitar and it sounded great. Corte is a huge name that sells tons of guitars. More of a value brand but well build. I’d like to play their tenor but I don’t think North America is getting these ukulele. I believe I read that in a thread.

Congrats on the new addition.

Here we are, M3Ukulele. I can't tell you where I bought the replacement tuners. I've had them in stock for a few years and, these days, details like that disappear into the mists of time.

John Colter

Cort soprano - tuning pegs - 05-03-2020.jpg

Thanks for picture of tuners. I can see a big upgrade. Nice job and I’m sure it makes the Blackwood Cort even better. As I travel and keep up on UU and You Tube I will watch for Cort ukuleles. I always liked my , relatively, inexpensive Cort parlour guitar. Can wait to try the ukuleles.

UAS has struck again. I thought I was immune, and I really don't need another soprano -- but you know how it is. The main attraction that led to my pressing the button on yet another uke, was that it is made from "Blackwood" acacia, and it looks like a no-nonsense, traditional design. Inevitably, that means Martin style.

It cost me £199 from SUS in southern England, whose service was, as always, impeccable.

There isn't much I want to say, just that I like it very much. It is cleanly and accurately built, the finish is thinly applied, giving a satiny, open pored effect which suggests what it is - solid wood. The neck shape is very slightly on the "sturdy" side, which suits my preference. The overall appearance is similar to a Martin style 1, but with seventeen frets.

My only reservation is that the tuners are cheapo units, but that's no big deal. They work well, so I am in no hurry to replace them.

It came to me perfectly set up. I might give the nut slots a gently filing, but it really isn't necessary. I just like to feel as though I have personalised my ukes.

It has plenty of volume, bags of sustain, and good balance across the strings. There are no "soft" or dull notes. Overall, it is a very sweet sounding, responsive instrument and has an indefinable sense of character, or personality.

I can thoroughly recommend the Cort. IMHO it represents excellent value for money. Mine will get plenty of use, I'm sure.View attachment 118585
John Colter.

I think we can all appreciate the attraction of "blackwood acacia", John. Kind of like "smoked applewood bacon" on a cheeseburger. Seriously, though, the Cort is certainly a great-looking instrument!

Damn! Now I want to try smoked apple wood bacon!:eek:

John Colter

Here we are, M3Ukulele. I can't tell you where I bought the replacement tuners. I've had them in stock for a few years and, these days, details like that disappear into the mists of time.

John Colter

View attachment 125754

Those tuners look great, much like the ones Ken Timms used to carve down into Keystone shape for his sopranos. It appears he uses the full size, uncarved buttons now.

Timms tuners2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom