Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Cort" soprano - I like it!

Is it possible to see pics of the friction tuners and what you replaced them with. I once owned a solid spruce top, laminate mahogany , small body guitar and it sounded great. Corte is a huge name that sells tons of guitars. More of a value brand but well build. I’d like to play their tenor but I don’t think North America is getting these ukulele. I believe I read that in a thread.

Congrats on the new addition.

Here we are, M3Ukulele. I can't tell you where I bought the replacement tuners. I've had them in stock for a few years and, these days, details like that disappear into the mists of time.

John Colter

Cort soprano - tuning pegs - 05-03-2020.jpg

Thanks for picture of tuners. I can see a big upgrade. Nice job and I’m sure it makes the Blackwood Cort even better. As I travel and keep up on UU and You Tube I will watch for Cort ukuleles. I always liked my , relatively, inexpensive Cort parlour guitar. Can wait to try the ukuleles.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    UAS has struck again. I thought I was immune, and I really don't need another soprano -- but you know how it is. The main attraction that led to my pressing the button on yet another uke, was that it is made from "Blackwood" acacia, and it looks like a no-nonsense, traditional design. Inevitably, that means Martin style.

It cost me 199 from SUS in southern England, whose service was, as always, impeccable.

There isn't much I want to say, just that I like it very much. It is cleanly and accurately built, the finish is thinly applied, giving a satiny, open pored effect which suggests what it is - solid wood. The neck shape is very slightly on the "sturdy" side, which suits my preference. The overall appearance is similar to a Martin style 1, but with seventeen frets.

My only reservation is that the tuners are cheapo units, but that's no big deal. They work well, so I am in no hurry to replace them.

It came to me perfectly set up. I might give the nut slots a gently filing, but it really isn't necessary. I just like to feel as though I have personalised my ukes.

It has plenty of volume, bags of sustain, and good balance across the strings. There are no "soft" or dull notes. Overall, it is a very sweet sounding, responsive instrument and has an indefinable sense of character, or personality.

I can thoroughly recommend the Cort. IMHO it represents excellent value for money. Mine will get plenty of use, I'm sure.Attachment 118585
    John Colter.
    I think we can all appreciate the attraction of "blackwood acacia", John. Kind of like "smoked applewood bacon" on a cheeseburger. Seriously, though, the Cort is certainly a great-looking instrument!

Damn! Now I want to try smoked apple wood bacon!

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Here we are, M3Ukulele. I can't tell you where I bought the replacement tuners. I've had them in stock for a few years and, these days, details like that disappear into the mists of time.

John Colter

Cort soprano - tuning pegs - 05-03-2020.jpg
    Those tuners look great, much like the ones Ken Timms used to carve down into Keystone shape for his sopranos. It appears he uses the full size, uncarved buttons now.

Timms tuners2.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 03-06-2020 at 05:14 AM.
    John

Thread Information