Season 381 - Doctor Doctor Doctor

Thanks for hosting this week Ryan! This may be the first song to be considered for the Thornton Rule mention :) I'm using hearse, undertaker and body as the trinity of terms connecting this well known Christian hymn "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" Joined here by Jon Duncan on banjolele, ukulele and harmony vocal ~

Leon Redbone. The title track from his 1990 album. I had to figure out the chords myself, so I'm sure I got some wrong. And did it in the original key, which is a little low for me.

I think my knee freaked out the camera. Hence the blurry image. At least I hope that's what happened!

This wasn't by Fats Waller but instead Wilton Crawley, a black hot jazz clarinetist and band leader who was popular in the 1920s and '30s but died just after WWII. Largely forgotten except by Leon, of course.

Also, Joel Dorn (Doc Pomus' protege) produced the album, so Doc wasn't directly involved, either. Other than that, everything I said in the intro was correct. :p

A little bit of Robert Palmer for the start of this week!

Righto. I am all caught up now, Playlists fully updated and boy are you guys spoiling me already. Just what the doctor ordered to start my time off work.

Hoping to bring one or two more of my own soonish too.

Here's a Del Reeves song from 1987 I had never heard before. Dr. Ruth really was quite a phenomenon back then for those who remember those days. I got a kick out of this song, it's mildly blue.

Hello, Ryan ... and thank you for providing such a generously wide-ranging theme for the week. Total nonsense this, and I must apologise because I think I am losing my voice (hayfever, as we are surrounded by sweet chestnut trees which are just coming into flower). I shall now crawl into a dark hole until Wednesday, when my Internet allocation renews itself for the next month ... at which time I shall be able to appreciate everyone else's contributions. Meanwhile ....

Here’s a song we learned in primary school - apparently there are lots of lyrical variations around, but this is the one I remember. As my daughter’s name is Suzie I’d sing this to her when she was a baby to comfort her, and nearly ten years on I sometimes still do, though she’s rather less receptive to its charms now! :)

You must excuse my old friend and mentor, the inimitable Doctor Sparkles. Along with being partially responsible for inspiring me to pick up the ukulele, he's actually a real medical doctor! I think you can find his 3 major releases on the music streaming services...

But, it looks like all his music on YouTube is set to private. I'm guessing he set them that way for his recent (unfortunately unsuccessful) attempt to gain the Republican nomination for Virginia's Xth seat to the US House of Representatives. Running as a pro-cannabbis, anti-tax guy, I guess he was worried this songs "There's a Special Place in Hell" and "Practice Suspicious Behavior" might not have flown well with the Republican base....

Top Bottom