Season 381 - Doctor Doctor Doctor

You must excuse my old friend and mentor, the inimitable Doctor Sparkles. Along with being partially responsible for inspiring me to pick up the ukulele, he's actually a real medical doctor! I think you can find his 3 major releases on the music streaming services...

But, it looks like all his music on YouTube is set to private. I'm guessing he set them that way for his recent (unfortunately unsuccessful) attempt to gain the Republican nomination for Virginia's Xth seat to the US House of Representatives. Running as a pro-cannabbis, anti-tax guy, I guess he was worried this songs "There's a Special Place in Hell" and "Practice Suspicious Behavior" might not have flown well with the Republican base....

Haha! No excuses needed brother. DrS kicks it!

my tribute to Leon Redbone.
he didn't write this but damn could he play and sing it.
stand by for the enhanced version with kev taking it over.

another tribute to Mr. LR
over and out from me mate
thanks for the reason.

I must have used this song as an entry in another week somewhere along the line, I think. Maybe not. But it was the first song I learned from Doctor Sparkles, and to do a proper Doctor Sparkles impersonation, I needed sparkly make up and a funny hat.

So I decided what Ryan's Season needed was a polka by a band called Doctor Kielbasa, with me attempting an accordion intro! You are welcome sir!

I am fighting a cold. I need to have some sort of a voice for gigs on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I was messing around on some other doctor song, but then saw Jon posted Walking Stick as a Leon Redbone tribute. Duh! I can sing lower than usual right now, so let's go for the full Leon.

Season 381. Submission 1. "Wayfaring Stranger" (Traditional)

This song was famously recorded by folk artist Doc Watson, both solo and in a duet with Merle Watson.

And so, performed by a Doc and mentioning illness, it hopefully fits the bill here, Ryan. Thank you so much for hosting and your fantastic theme.

Soprano banjolele here.

Last edited:
Any excuse for a bit of Yazoo - that’s what I always say!

“Hey go get the doctor, doctor came too late...”

Tried to keep keyboards as minimal as poss! :)

This song is a western swing standard because Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys recorded it, but the western swing version is at a faster tempo and doesn't use the first section at all; only the part that begins with "right or wrong." I've strummed along with this one many times and sung it a few times, so it was hard to keep the tempo as relaxed as Leon Redbone did. His recording is the only one I've heard that uses the first section. This is also from the Sugar album.

This is a song I wrote a few months after my triple bypass in 2010. I had just found out that my doctors had withheld from me what I thought was a pretty important piece of information. I previously made a video of this song back in Season 59.

I wrote this song while putting wood stain on the deck. A few years before, I wrote my “Hamlet” song while staining the front steps. If you have writer’s block, I heartily recommend wood stain.

Lyrics:

I've been peeling back the layers of the truth
It feels like stripping paint
Here's a rare vintage of my bottled rage
And rarer still, my restraint
The sun is hanging low in the sky
Never underestimate how good it is to be alive

The blank pages in my memories
The days I can't recall
All the secrets of what happened then
You closely guard them all
We always do our best, and after that what happens happens

It's all in a day's work, hold steady as you go
It's all in a day's work -- deep breath, then let it go

It was great the way you saved my life
But only after you nearly killed me
I'm not looking for an apology
I'd just like to finally get the whole story
We do the best we can, and after that what happens happens

You'll feel the bump and you'll feel a pinch, you'll feel a change of position
You know we'd never ever lie to you, but there's a few careful omissions

I've been peeling back the layers of the truth
Till the whole thing's stripped away
And all I'm left with is the spin doctors
Who paint in shades of gray
We do the best we can, but after that what happens happens

You'll feel the bump as you arrive
Never underestimate how good it is to be alive

You'll feel the bump and you'll feel a pinch, you'll feel a change of position
You know we'd never ever lie to you, but there's a few careful omissions

I thought that this would have been one of the first songs up. It was the forst song that popped into my head anyway. Maybe because it has been played here in the Seasons before.

Should be able to get at least one more in this week Ryan, good idea for a Season. But not tomorrow or Friday. Go Dubs!

Alphabet in Reverse

I must have used this song as an entry in another week somewhere along the line, I think. Maybe not. But it was the first song I learned from Doctor Sparkles, and to do a proper Doctor Sparkles impersonation, I needed sparkly make up and a funny hat.

I like your use of visual aids, Joko! All I had was a fake palm tree...

I hope this one qualifies? It’s a little tangential…

Shine on harvest moon

Too much Leon is not enough... this has a chorus of whistling and a Intro verse that is rarely heard.
Leon does an exquisite version Shine on Harvest moon.

Top Bottom