Anyone know what this is?

YogiTom

Reaction score
Now that the bidding is over, I wanted to ask for some community help identifying an old ukulele. I narrowly missed out on this intriguing old fixer-upper soprano: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1920-s-KALAKA-SOPRANO-UKULELE-Koa-Curly-Rare-Authentic-Hawaii-Antique-NR-/173915950970?

Anyone familiar with Kalaka ukuleles? Did I miss out on a historical gem? Knowing next to nothing about vintage ukes, this was definitely new to me, but was hopeful someone might be able to shed some light on it!

Cheers,
Jeff

I was able to find the following on Lardy's Ukulele Database website:

"Kindle & Graham

These are a San Francisco Retailer founded in 1909 - They appear to still be in business but these days they sell Party novelties not musical instruments? Though they were never a manufacturer they were a major retailer in the early days of mainland US Ukulele sales and had their own brand, Kalaka. There is some debate over who actually made these Ukuleles and I think the earliest did come from Hawaii but the bulk of them were made by Leonardo Nunes in Los Angeles."

Mike

I was able to find the following on Lardy's Ukulele Database website:

"Kindle & Graham

These are a San Francisco Retailer founded in 1909 - They appear to still be in business but these days they sell Party novelties not musical instruments? Though they were never a manufacturer they were a major retailer in the early days of mainland US Ukulele sales and had their own brand, Kalaka. There is some debate over who actually made these Ukuleles and I think the earliest did come from Hawaii but the bulk of them were made by Leonardo Nunes in Los Angeles."

Mike

Awesome info and resource, thank you!

Sounds like it would’ve been a neat little piece of ukulele history. Who knows how much work it would’ve been to get into playable condition, but still...maybe I’ll win the next one. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom