NUD Romero Creations Mango Replica

AQUATOPAZ

Reaction score
Having my Sopranissimo loaned to my daughter for months has left me missing that wooden sound as my other uke is a brass body resonator. Combined with all the talk of Low G, some Low G tabs, and the Low G songs on the new Melodic Meditations book, I decided to head to USpace to look at their Romero Creations. I called first and found out that they had a large selection of Spalted Mango Romeros in stock. After trying out a Grand Tenor, ST Concert, Replica and Tiny Tenor, checking out the sound differences and how my hands could handle stretches on the various models, I ralized the Grand tenor is really hard for me to stretch, but the ST Concert was easier than my Concert, despite being the same scale length, because of the depth of the instrument, and the Tiny Tenor was identical in ease of stretch as my Concert. The Replica was slightly harder. Attempting to compare the different sounds, with my limited abilities, was hard. I have to say the service at USpace is unbelievable. After informing him of the type of music I hoped to play, Jason Arimoto played that style for me on 2 different Tiny Tenor Mangoes, which sounded different despite being the same model, and a Replica, repeatedly alternating between them, playing different bars repeatedly so that I could hear the differences, for about 20 minutes. I chose the Replica, despite it being harder to stretch, because it matched the sound I hope to create one day. I love that place. I am so lucky I live close enough, despite the heavy traffic. And if anyone is interested in a Spalted Mango TT, he has 5 beautiful ones in stock. The pics taken with my cell phone don't come close to doing the pattern justice as it didn't capture the gradations of color at all.

Attachments

• RCback.jpg
    RCback.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 65
  • RCfront.jpg
    RCfront.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 75
did you happen to play/hear any other woods in the Romeros? Do you think the mango had a distinctive sound or was it more of a instrument-to-instrument difference?

Congrats!! I live in Santa Monica so don't get over there too often. I absolutely love the spalted mango Replica.

Jason and his wife are great at U-Space! Congrats! What a beauty!

did you happen to play/hear any other woods in the Romeros? Do you think the mango had a distinctive sound or was it more of a instrument-to-instrument difference?

I tried a spruce top XS on a previous visit, but I knew I wanted the Mango, ( they have a sweeter sound), so that's all tested.

Wow, very nice.
Congrats.

Mango is a lovely tone wood....

Congrats!! I live in Santa Monica so don't get over there too often. I absolutely love the spalted mango Replica.

I live right by you in Brentwood. I couldn't go on Fri around 3 because my GPS told me it would take an hour and a half to get there. I would love to take lessons there, but traffic is frightening. They live on the Westside and I hope that one day they offer lessons on this side.

Should get together sometime! My uke collection is thinning fast, so the sooner the better, LOL.

There is a very good teacher named Jay Green at Santa Monica Music Center (Santa Monica & 19th). He is a great teacher, guitar and uke. He's always prepared, explains things well, etc. I'm taking some guitar with him now but we worked on a few ukes songs as well.

Also, Abe Lagrimas, Jr. teaches at Westwood Music. He travels a lot so if you don't mind gaps here and there, he is an amazing musician.

PM me if you want more details.

Should get together sometime! My uke collection is thinning fast, so the sooner the better, LOL.

There is a very good teacher named Jay Green at Santa Monica Music Center (Santa Monica & 19th). He is a great teacher, guitar and uke. He's always prepared, explains things well, etc. I'm taking some guitar with him now but we worked on a few ukes songs as well.

Also, Abe Lagrimas, Jr. teaches at Westwood Music. He travels a lot so if you don't mind gaps here and there, he is an amazing musician.

PM me if you want more details.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize Abe Lagrimas Jr, taught here. Jason also told me that Daniel Ward teaches and comes to you, so that is another thought. Those 2 have different specialties, so that's exciting. I want to learn Spanish style, but also others. I'd love to learn some African tunes and Caribbean styles.

Top Bottom