Lightly built sopranos?

Astein2006

Reaction score
Can anyone weigh in on a lightly built soprano. Preferably mahogany. I’d also consider a high quality laminate. I currently own a 60’s Martin Style O and the lightly braced and build quality is astounding. Is there a modern made factory ukulele that comes close to the weight, thin wood and light bracing as the old Martins. Again I’d consider a high quality laminate if it offered the same weight. Some real world suggestions would be great. Anyone actually weigh any modern ukes to see how
they stack up against the old Martins? Looking for something that I can take to play live without having to take my Martin. Wide nut and thinner neck is preferred.

My Ohana SK-38 is only 315 grams. Not sure how that compares to a vintage Martin but seems super light to me. Nut width is only 34mm though. I’d be curious to know what old Martins weigh too.

I think I saw a used Famous (Kiwaya) laminate soprano on the marketplace right now. I also think I saw a slightly used Kiwaya soprano at the Elderly website.

Either might be a good option for you.

Cheers,
Rich

I have a KoAloha weighing 13 1/2 ozs; a lovely Kala acacia that weighs 15 ozs; two mahogany Ohanas at 13 ozs each; a Martin style 1, 11 ozs; and my latest purchase, a Cort made from Australian Blackwood, 11 1/2 ozs.

In addition I weighed four hand made sops which are all around 11 ozs.

They all sound good to my old ears. My favourite is the KoAloha. The Martin is a well used example, complete with repaired cracks and many dings, and sounds great. The brand new Cort stands up well in this illustrious company.

I hope this helps.

John Colter.

The solid mahogany Kiwaya KTS 4 or the laminate KS1 are great options.

I think I saw a used Famous (Kiwaya) laminate soprano on the marketplace right now. I also think I saw a slightly used Kiwaya soprano at the Elderly website.

Either might be a good option for you.

Cheers,
Rich

My laminate mahogany Famous FS-1 weighs in at 12.2 oz, which stacks up pretty well compared to my early 40's Martin Style 0 with Pegheds, which is 10.19 oz

If may I suggest, a suitable ukulele that fits the description is a Martin S1 Uke, by the same maker too as your vintage Martin. Comparatively light weight, have a thin sound board, loud voice, has a wide nut width and thin neck. The S1 is my everyday go-to ukulele and I think is worth every penny.

Ah, yes. I missed that point. My new 'Cort' has quite a chunky neck, so probably not suitable for the OP.

John Colter.

I don't know the weights, but I don't think I've ever lifted any soprano lighter than a Loprinzi. Even lighter than a MB I once played.

I’d second the shout to Kiwaya. KTS-4 model in particular. They come around often for a reasonable price.

Top Bottom