Fret spacing, neck tuning

PeterJNRenders

Reaction score
I am curious if there is a practical way of improving the tuning up/down the neck of a ukulele? Getting the "G" string to be in tune 2nd fret "A", 4th fret "B"....etc.
Thanks

I'm a fan of the zero fret concept.

Sounds like you have intonation issues and if the ukulele was built properly it should be able to be adjusted....but it really depends on how off it is and why. But remember in the end "perfect" intonation does not exist...what we achieve is the best compromise and it works.....but perfect ears are also uncommon.

Here is a link to a recent thread on the subject: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?139438-(Another)-Intonation-Question%85

If intonation is the cause you can either take it to a luthier (make sure they are familiar with working on ukuleles) and pay them to deal with it or jump in and do some research and learn to do it yourself. If it is an expensive instrument or one with sentimental value I would caution you to learn/practice on something not so valuable.

However, it could be other issues as well. Just pressing the strings too hard can change the pitch. Could also be other structural issues in the uke. But from the very limited info you gave I would think you are looking at intonation issues.

Best of luck!

I've played a few cheap ukuleles that seem to have a long space to the first fret. Try putting a whittled down flat toothpick under the strings at the nut (like a zero fret) and see if it helps.

If your problem is worst at the lower frets, then there is a good chance your string height at the nut is too high. This makes the fretted notes on frets 1-5 (especially) too sharp, the problem reduces as you go up the neck. Manufacturers usually make the nut slots too shallow, except on more expensive models.

To check this, hold a string down between the 2nd and 3rd frets. Now tap the string over the first fret to see how far it moves down onto the fret. If the movement is more than the tiniest of fractions, your nut slot could do with deepening. If you can't tell this way, can you slide a piece of ordinary printer paper under the string at the 1st while fretting between 2 and 3? If the paper slides easily with no resistance, you're way too high.

Top Bottom