Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make your case behave?

Default How to make your case behave?

I have a Crossrock case that doesn't like to stay with the lid propped open. I tried to train it, (Sit. Stay.), but that didn't seem to work. My dogs were easier to train.

Any thoughts on how to make it behave? I don't really leave the case open generally, but hate when the lid wants to slam shut while I'm taking a ukulele out or putting a ukulele in to the case. I try to leave my hand blocking the lid, but would rather not take chances.

If all else fails, I might just buy a new case. Any suggestions? I've looked at older threads on cases, but some of the cases don't seem to be made anymore, and there are probably newer ones now, too.

Are Ameritage cases worth the price? Who sells them?

I don't have an answer, but I would warn that when the case falls closed like that there is a chance that you will later glance at it that way and just pick it up without thinking, dumping your ukulele on the floor. I know from experience.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I don't have an answer, but I would warn that when the case falls closed like that there is a chance that you will later glance at it that way and just pick it up without thinking, dumping your ukulele on the floor. I know from experience.
    Good point. Another reason to think about upgrading the case.

Maybe open the lid as far as it wants to go then gently push it open a little bit more. You don't want to break the hinges but maybe a little gentle hyperextension from its current position will persuade it to open a little farther so it stays open.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

It could be the hinges. But it could also be the strap limiter at the fat end of the case that restricts the opening just a bit much. Not sure if it could be stretched. But it could be cut (middle) and re-sewn so it is longer and the case opens farther, hopefully resolving the issue.

I have seen people use a thin wooden dowel or chopstick to prop a case open if needed.

A couple of things:
    Check the little stumpy legs on the bottom of the case...………….making sure they are all intact. Once in a while one of the little pieces falls off. If they are ok, get a couple of small rubber washers from your hardware store and glue them on the front most legs so the case tilts slightly backward when on a flat solid surface. This should keep it open.
    Armeritage are great cases, though they are very heavy and very expensive. For me, they are for that very special uke that travels a lot or gets jousted about frequently. Other well built solid cases, many of which are under $100 should do the job (and also stay open!).

I don't even like to keep any of my cases open. What's the purpose? Unlatch, open case, remove instrument, close case. Open case, replace instrument, close case, latch. Keep it Simple.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Wow. I thought I was unique in this problem. My KoAloha LN soprano came with a Crossrock case that does the exact same thing. I either have to move fast, or push back more on the lid to keep it open. I also yell at mine, but not Sit & Stay. More like .....Stay Open You Little #*%#. Mine is a special issue KoAloha from 2017 and for some reason, I think the special issues were sold with the Crossrock cases. It’s a cool red tweed with three latches and it does fit perfectly, so I haven’t ditched it yet.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006
    KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano - Port Orford Cedar & Koa - circa 2015
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood -2018
    Blackbird Clara - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    It could be the hinges. But it could also be the strap limiter at the fat end of the case that restricts the opening just a bit much. Not sure if it could be stretched. But it could be cut (middle) and re-sewn so it is longer and the case opens farther, hopefully resolving the issue.
    This is a decent solution. If the hinges are anything like most guitar cases, the top just folds flat, (well almost), when the retaining strap breaks loose from the case. Been there done that. Better than buying a new case.

Edit added: After looking at a few of my uke cases, it appears that a stop is built into the hinges, as opposed to my old guitar cases. You can probably check to see if the strap or the hinge stop is causing it not to open enough. If it is the strap, you will see a gap and the hinge could open more. If it is the top and bottom hinge pieces that are touching in the back, that would require some sort of mod.

Another solution is to get a lid support, but you have to make sure it clears the ukulele when it folds.

John
    Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-04-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Thread Information